Have You Used At Home Acryllic Nail Kits?

I'm in a wedding Friday, and this week is already chaotic, and money is tight. It is about $25-$30 to get my nails done or, I could get the kit to do it myself for $15. My real nails are nonexistent because of my biting habit so I need something, but I also need them to be short because I haven't had nails on in so long and I don't want them to get in the way of caring for my kids. My question is, do you think it's worth the hassle/money to get them done so that they're right, or could I possibly get by doing it myself at home just until after the wedding? I am usually pretty good with this stuff; I do my own french pedicures freehand..I've just never done these nail kits at home before.

NewMom2RAD

Asked by NewMom2RAD at 11:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I've done the at home kits. My nails look decent when I do them. My only problem is I am a righty and it's so hard to do my left hand and make it look good. You could always get the press on nails, not tips, full nails. Those would be quick and easy yet could also look like a pro did them.
    cmadd

Answer by cmadd at 11:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I've done the at-home kit and royally screwed up my left hand (I'm a lefty). Seriously, go find one of those Asian nail places and get 'em done for like $20. I went to one for years and they always did me right (I never, EVER saw anything dirty or anyone with infected nails or heard any horror stories that more expensive salons will tell you happen. they tell you so that you spend MORE $$$ coming to their place).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Honestly, never had an issue with the foreign nail places, the one near my house is really nice. But again, not as cheap and I'd need a sitter to go, which is a hassle. My hubby promised to help me do it lol. I have heard though that people use them to do their own fill-ins to save $$. I might just get press ons though and just put them on at the last minute, I hate those, lol.
    NewMom2RAD

Comment by NewMom2RAD (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i HATE the nail kits the glue is cheap and never keeps them on and getting the nails off ruins your REAL nails who says you have to have long nails at all just paint your stubs a pretty color and be done with it. Nobody will be looking at YOUR nails anyways ;) and a $5 bottle of polish beats a $15 kit or a $25 manicure. I have a motorized file that i use to grow my nails long and strong and then i give myself regular french mani pedis saves me a BUNDLE! (But you gotta stop biting!)
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I use to do the home kit acyrllics but I mess them so bad and they look like crap so I go and pay 22 for a full set and had the nail salon do them for me.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you are better off going to the dollar store and getting pre made fake set that are pre designed.

just be sure to use a nail polish remover to remove oils from nail plate.. lightly buff, then glue and you are ready to go.. Do it the morning of.

The cheap acrylic kits I've seen are crap.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010