What age should a boy start using the potty?

My son turned 2 in may and acts like he wants to pretend to use the potty but when i actually put him on it he screams like he thinks he is dieing. Am I starting him to young?

MystikSky

Asked by MystikSky at 11:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we started potty training my hubbys son at 18 months. It depends on when on your boy IS READY to use. dont push him to be ready wait until he is. encourage to use it but dont force him to that can slow your proccess down.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Adding to my answer you must remember that being potty trained is a learned habit and depending on your childs learning curve it may take a while to get them trained or it may take a short time it just depends.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't think 2 is too young at all, We have started introuducing my 18 month old months and months ago. Just don't force it, make it into something fun, be sure to stress the big boy sense of it all.Also my son has this video he loves called potty power that he has watched over and over again.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We started training my oldest at 15 months... He wasn't fully trained til he was almost 4 years old... Frankly, we started to early. With my next son we simply waited til he was really ready. He could go sit on the potty any time he wanted to but we didn't push it. He was almost 3 by the time he decided he was ready, but it took less than a week to train him... With the next one, we will definitely wait til she is ready, no matter when we are.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• we started around 18 months but he didn't go on his own till 3YO
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I started when he showed all the signs of readiness. He was 2.5. It took 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you can start whenever you want to. I have a dvd put out by Pull-ups brand and they say you can start between 18-24 months. Pretty much starting that young means introducing them to the potty chair, making a huge deal about a new thing, and putting them on it wether they go or not. My son is 19 months old and we do that, sometimes he goes potty sometimes he doesnt. But when he does go, we make a HUGE deal out of it. When we say, lets go potty (NOT do you want to go potty) he goes right to the bathroom because he knows! (plus he gets an m&m if he goes potty.)
    Joeysmama012709

Answer by Joeysmama012709 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I started my son around 25 months old, but I wish I waited till now, at 2.5 years old. He is really grasping it now!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Most Boys are not fully ready until they are 3. My son is very verbal for a boy and would constantly ask me to change his dirty diaper. So I figured he was ready. I did the 3 day potty training with him @ 27 months and he was fully trained. He would tell me he had to go etc. He had VERY few accidents for 6 weekd straight. Then he had a tummy issue which gave him bad loose stooles. He completely regressed, i think part of it was being sick but the other is a power thing. I know he knows when he has to go because when he is in a circumstance that he does not wish to be (time out, in bed etc) he tells us he has to go and he goes. Every child is different but most kids are not ready until they are 2 and boys later.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He started actually using the toilet about 3 or 4 weeks before his 3rd birthday. Just remember that every child is different and just because it works for some people and their kids doesn't mean that somethings wrong with your son if it doesn't work for ya'll. Good luck with everything. :)
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 4:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010