Should I be concerned about toddler's BM? adult content

When my youngest turned 1 and started drinking regular milk, she also started having lots of soft stools. For a while they were really soft, yellow, and extra stinky and her Dr and I agreed to put her on lactose-free milk. That seemed to help (took away the yellow, extra-stinkyness) but she still rarely has solid movements.

We've drastically cut back the amount of milk/juice she's allowed to have, and checked for other reactions to foods. She never acts like she has stomach pain, never has rashes, etc yet her poop is almost always what I would define as "diarrhea".

She's growing fine, is a healthy size, eats well, etc. So should I still be concerned?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 11:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its probably nothing to be concerned about, could be her body adjusting to new foods. Try adding more bananas.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• She may not be lactose intolerant, she may be intolerant to something else. Which lactose free milks have you tried? Maybe try a different brand. I use Lactaid but my mom loves Silk. She says it has a different flavor and everything. If it is the lactose intolerance she could STILL be intolerant to something else as well. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• She is really young,I would not worry,as long as she is going,that is the important thing. Sometimes as moms we worry alot. Trust me this is not a thing to worry about. Try an apple,or broccoli or banana if u want more solid poop. Is it all liquid or is the some chunks init???? Message me back please.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies! Her poop definitely has some substance to it, it's not just liquid, so I guess that's good. I honestly can't tell much difference between the times she's been on regular milk and lactose-free, so I'm starting to feel convinced that's not it. If I had to venture a guess, she just seems extra sensitive to fruits/veggies. If she eats nothing but whole grains, cheese, etc for a couple of days, her movements get much more solid. But you throw fruits/veggies back in, and whoosh, what a mess! Haha
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010