IEP

what is the deal with these schools?! Why do I have to drag the information from them. No one ever seems to want to really help. I need to have an IEP, does anyone else have this issue?

connievickvick

Asked by connievickvick at 11:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• when my son was finishing 8th grade, he was in trouble of failing. We couldn't figure out what was going on. I insisted on going through the IEP process (school didn't want to). Tell them your lawyer will contact them to see what the problem is (I didn't have a lawyer, I just said it.)
    We went through all the screenings and on the day when I was going to get the results the speech therapist decided to do a quick hearing test and he failed miserably. My son had been reading lips and "getting by" without always hearing the directions to things. We got our IEP and my son got hearing aids. (My problem then became getting him to wear them, it was a miserable age to try that.)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The school 'doesn't want to' because it cost them money. Plain as that. It's stupid, I know. As far as getting an IEP having a diagnosis helps. From there knowing your rights. Since they very state to state I can't help you to much there. In my state you have to go through a 3 step process before they will even do and IEP eligibility meeting. The process is called SST (student support team) It took us a full school year, with a diagnosis, to get to the official IEP meeting. Find a parent/child advocate group in your area and absorb as much information as you can. Some advocacy groups will even offer an 'IEP buddy' This website can be a good place to start.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Unfortunately, you are not alone. Trying to get an IEP for my child was one of the worst experiences of my life! Are you working with an advocate or special ed attorney?
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i have a advocate an a GAL
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010