My landlord gave me a DISGUSTING roach infested fridge. Few questions.

My landlord is signing this apartment building back to the bank. The previous fridge was hers and she didn't want it to go, so she got us another one. Two hours after she left, we discovered the new fridge is COMPLETELY infested with roaches. After calling constantly for almost 24 hours, she finally got back to me. She had the nerve to ask ME what I thought SHE should do. I told her I want an exterminator here ASAP. That was yesterday and I haven't heard back from her. She was an awful landlord and I'm hoping the bank does a much better job. Here are my questions:
1. What all do I need to throw away? Everything or just stuff that was open? The roaches are actually INSIDE the fridge, too.
2. I believe I should be reimbursed for all the contaminated food/bug sprays/my time put into taking care of this ordeal/etc.. Is that reasonable?
3. I've yet to hear back from her in regards to an exterminator. (con't...)

adrians_mama

Asked by adrians_mama at 11:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• (con't) so if one isn't here by Monday, should I hire my own and have him forward the bill to my landlord?
    4. As I stated, she has been a crappy landlord in the 6 months we have lived here. We really love this place, though, and since the bank is taking over, we've decided to stay here (we were debating moving because of her but have changed our minds for the moment, as she will no longer be in charge.) We have discussed with the neighbors of taking legal action against her for all the stupid crap she does. They are completely for doing that, but we aren't sure what our next steps should be? Or if it would even accomplish anything? I know she does have other properties.
    5. Any other tips on how to deal with this lady/clean up this sickening roach issue/etc.. would be SOOO GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!
    adrians_mama

Comment by adrians_mama (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• let her know the amount of food that you lost because roaches are dirty n let her know u will take it to ppls court or something,les see if she doesnt get back to you,
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would file a group grievance against her. She should ave to reimburse you if you pay for an exterminator yourself. I would call and leave her a voicemail telling her if she doesn't have one there by tomorrow morning or doesn't call you back that you will be forced to hire your own and to charge her for the expenses. Make los of all of your grievances with her, all the calls and voicemails you had to leave about this situation, etc. You will need that.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Wow, that is super super gross. Since she provided the new fridge and clearly did not check it out first, she should definitely be responsible for an exterminator. I'm really unclear on how the law works in these cases (in fact, I have a few questions of my own regarding a similar situation!) but I would think it would be on your side. Roaches affect the livability/rentability of the unit, and because they were not caused by you or anything you did, they are the landlord's responsibility.

Good luck, I'm sorry I don't have better advice. I hope you get it all taken care of! She definitely does not deserve to get off scott-free in this case, whether or not she's signing it back to the bank.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Get rid of the frig!!!!! That is gross!!!! I would not use a roach infested appliance!!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I worked in property management (assistant manager for apartment) for 7 years...my suggestions:
    *I am not sure what you state is but look into your statues or speak to an attorney, the landlord has x amount of days to address situations such as those.
    *The fridge needs to go, if it has been infested with German roaches (small ones) then those are the worst ones and they reproduce like crazy, they are also the harder ones to get rid.
    *See an attorney and start putting your money in escrow. This way if the landlord doesn't address something immediately, you can lawfully withhold rent until it get's done without being penalized.
    *Do not hire an exterminator on your own terms unless you speak to your landlord.
    *Every attempt that you make to contact him, be sure to notate it as well as send a certified letter with the same request.

Is this a private land lord or an apartment community? If it's an apt. comm. contact corporate!
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• ALSO-throw all food away that was open and check if the unopened food was contaminated. Make note of all you throw away, you are entitled to a refund...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010