How do I calm a severe cough?

Last weekend I had a severe cold and well it went away but now I have this cough where I go into these fits of coughing for up to 5 minutes straight. I have spent plenty of money on cough remedies and drops don't have insurance for the DR. so what are some good ideas, maybe some foods to avoid even. just any advice at this point is good...what do you do when you or a loved one has a severe cough?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Health

• This is a remedy I was taught and it works really well. Chop 2 or 3 lemons in half, add a bunch of sugar and some water and put it all in a pan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add some honey to it. Let it cool and drink it, works wonders.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 12:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• hot mint tea with honey helps me and i like the taste
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i even just give my children one teaspoon of honey...it helps a lot.....works for me too !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You can calm the cough but remember, the reason for coughing is to get rid of the phlem stuck in your chest. Try a humidifier at night, mint tea or tea with honey.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yes, tea with honey. Try to find local honey if you can.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• jagermeister...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Honey in tea is soothing
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 12:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• have you ever tried alkaseltzer cold and cough gel caps? i am known for my terrible terrible colds!!!! nothing ever worked but one day my dad bought that for me to try and in 3 days my cold was gone and im tellin your my cold was bad! my head hurt so bad and my eyes that i couldnt even have the lights on in my apartment! i was coughing non stop and it was full of mucus it was nasty and my nose was runny but stuffed at the same time....it was TERRIBLE i took that pill cuz at that point i woulda tried anything and it cleared it up in 3 days! i mean i tell EVERYONE about alkaseltzer cold and cough especially cuz they gel caps not that nasty stuff you put in the water
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I use delsem-- or a Robitussin product. Take it religiously. So if it states every 12 hours that is what I do. Do you have congestion? Take musenex to relieve the congestion. I take it before bed every night. I also drink port it is sweet and thick helps calm down the night time coughing. Hot drinks during the day with honey, honey is the only thing my ped. thinks works. But I know better codeine works very well.
    Make sure your bedroom has humidity in it. Avoid milk or dairy based products they make more mucus. Any thing thick and creamy is out, bananas make mucus as well.
    One last thing even though cough drops don't work they lubricate the throat. So try some vita mine C drops too. So even though I am not a dr. I am the person who gets all the bad coughs. My thought is to go to a clinic if this stuff doesn't work at calming it down, some coughs are a serious sign of other ailments.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• a small spoonfull of honey always helps me!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010