Moms with potty trained kids

This is a real question.

When do you stop wiping their butts? My daughter is in the middle of potty training and she hasn't learn the whole concept of wiping. She knows "how" but can't do it properly espeically when she BMs. How do you teach them?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her it's part of learning to take care of her own body then give her a wipe and let her wipe herself. Be sure to do a follow up wipe yourself at the end to be sure she's clean. If she's wiping in the wrong direction, help her by putting your hand on hers and helping her wipe. You're going to have to supervise her wiping probably until she's in kindergarten anyway so don't worry if she's not getting the concept right away. Potty training is a lot to take in for a little person. Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my son is almost 4 and I still wipe his butt. He has only wanted to do it once on his own, he did a good job, but missed the toilet and threw the paper on the floor. He gets picky every once in a while Some days he will go into the bathroom pull his pants down and pee all on his own and other days he refuses to do any of it and either I have to pull his pants down or he will pee his pants.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I still wipe my three year old butt after she goes poopy. I do have her try and try to explain it to her and then help her. I have no clue when I stopped with my oldest. I guess you will know when it is time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Ugh, my son is almost five and HATES to wipe himself! He says he doesnt want to get poop on his hands! He does himself sometimes, but not enough!
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My 3 year old wipes himself. I will wipe after him, to make sure he got it all. Usually though, he does get it all.
    krystlzd3

Answer by krystlzd3 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The second mine was able to know on his own to go potty and could pull down and up his pant, I had him try and then I would go behind and wipe him. After about a month, maybe less, he was doing good enough on his own. He was almost 3. By the time he was 3 and went to pre-school, he could go on his own with no outside help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Not sure. My son is 2 and we're working on piotty training!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My 3.5 year old has been PT'd since 20 months. I was still wiping her up until she was 3, now she goes & I don't even know it. We used those flushable wipes for awhile until she got the hang of it. She does a pretty good job.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I still wipe my grandsons butt from time to time specially after the runs.other wise I tell him he has to mater it cause they won't do it in school for him..
    ms.mary

Answer by ms.mary at 4:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son is almost 4, and we still wipe his bottom when he has a BM. He says he's scared he will make a mess if he does. I've read that it's a good idea for the parent to do a majority of the wiping then let the child try at the end to get them used to it. We haven't started doing that yet though.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010