I am trying to potty train a 3yr old and I have tried everything...

I'm open to suggestion..maybe there is something I haven't thought of yet...I had my son potty trained at 1yr old and it went great but my husbands nephew is 3 and no where close to being potty trained I tried everything I did to train my son but it's not working and I had seen something that said the older they are the harder to train...please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I find it easier when they are older. they can tell you when they have to go. But every kid is different. If he is not ready it will be harder. All you can do is keep asking and trying from time to time. Also is this nephew only living with you. If his parents are not doing the same. It will take loner. I know form working in child care. Both the parents and you have to be on the same page.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You might want to check out super nanny and dr phil's website. search and you can find their techniques.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Make sure he isn't wearing a diaper or pull up let him have accidents in his underwear. Unless her already is doing that bc that's normallyy why they won't go potty if they still wear diapers
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• it took my son till he was 4 to be completely potty trained. We started at 18months. I ended up actually having to take him to the pediatrician we were having such a hard time. He got constipated once and it hurt obviously to go poo and after that he would never go. We had him on meds for a month to get him regulated and no he's great. He still has little accidents like if he couldnt get to the potty fast enuff a little poo comes out. he's never wet the bed though thank goodness. he'll get it. it just takes time and lots of encouragement. another thing that worked for us is we got him a calendar, put it up next to the toilet and everytime he went poo or pee he got a sticker...we still do that to this day and he loves it! We also give him a little treat afterwards, usually a tootsie roll or a few m&m's.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 1:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I used Cheerios in the toilet and my boys got a sticker on their chart every one they hit. Dollar tree 1000 stickers for a dollar =) Then theygot some kinda reward every 100 stickers. It worked with mine, good luck
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 1:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My ds is 3 and we ended up doing what my mom did.......buying a toilet ring big enough for toilet trainers for the big potty. It's Spiderman and Friends and we bought it at Menards. When he goes potty, he puts the toilet ring on top of the regular ring and he does his thing. Lil guy knows what to do and now he's learning to poopy in the potty. It helps us that he's learning to potty at daycare and preschool (he goes to a preschool to help him with his language since he was born with a minor submucous cleft palate, fluid around the ear drums and a speech delayment. Thankfully the palate is repaired and he has a new set of tubes for drainage in.)
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010