my 8 year old is starting puberty.......i want to cry and freak out!

so it started a couple months ago when she started complaining of breast pain....which i immediatly knew what was going on, now she is complaining about discharge....i have explained it all to her and she just looks at me disgustedly and say i dont like it, its gross! she is umbearably moody. i want to make it seem less "gross" to her, but i dont know how....shes 8 and none of her peers are deeling with this yet so she thinks she is gross. soooo.....did you have a child that hit puberty early? how did you deal with it? is there a better way to explain things? it was easy to talk to our 12 year old about it but lilly hasnt even had sex ed classes yet (they start them in 4th grade and shes in 3rd) abby had already learned about all of it. im not sure what to do......all my exlanations are geared toward an older girl....abby just started her stuff last year and i was 10-11 when i started so even my mom is no help because i was

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started going through this at 7. My mom tried to explain it to me, but the last thing I wanted to do was talk to her about it being that it was weirding me out from the begining. If you can get ur older daughter to talk to her about it, that would help alot. My older sister was the one who talked to me, and it made alot more sense and I was alot more comfy then having my mom do it.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 1:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• older. any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• thats a good idea. thanks!
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i agree, try to find someone else that she can chit chat with... an older sister, cousin, friend of the family... prepare whoever will be talking to her with what you find as appropriate information, you don't want them to tell her too much or too little... then talk with her after she has had the "talk" and see if she has any more questions...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my daughter started reaching puberty at 6 but got her period at 8..i had her enrolled in a big sister program..they were able to help better than me..also becareful girl who tend to start puberty at such a young age..an her mind may have not caught up seem to suffer depression..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Just tell her its natural that EVERY girl goes through it. I got my period the summer before I went into 6th grade. I kept it from my mom and used what she had under the sink (pads and tampons) because I didnt want to tell her. Once I did, I felt better about it.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Hey at least you tried and are trying more. My mom never had the talk with me so when it happened I was scared I had done something wrong and it ended up being a friend of the family who had had numourous foster kids in and out of her home that explained it to me and then to my mom for me. I wish I had someone there before that. Great job.
    StephanAndCoral

Answer by StephanAndCoral at 2:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• There are a lot of good books out there that can help explain the changes she is facing at her level. My son is starting to have some changes as well and we are just very honest and candid with him about it so he knows it is nothing to freak out over. If she senses that YOU are freaking out it can make it even worse and more confusing for her, so just do your best to remain calm and collected and supportive at all times. Answer her questions honestly and maybe even do some special things for her to let her know that growing up is OK and she doesn't need to be afraid! Good luck!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010