I am sure that most all moms have been through this....

defiance, "smart" attitudes, talking back, sibling rivalry, all the screaming, whining, fighting, tattle telling.....How did you end it???I am absolutely fed up with my 3 years old and 5 year old NEVER doing what they are told and always fighting, screaming, whining....I am so fed up I am at my breaking point...Please help me before I snap.

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 1:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I send them both to their separate rooms.... then hate that and usually get over what ever it is real quick. I also will take away the thing they are fighting over if I can't tell whose right/wrong. I used to count to five and send them to time out if they didn't stop.... but they usually stop by the time I get to 2 or 3!!! Good luck mom, stay consistent and hang in there!! ;o) (My kids are 4 & 6 - so I hear ya!!)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• tell them what you expect of them and if they give you that behaviour you'll put a happy face on the calendar....if they get 4 happy faces in a week, then they can watch a movie for example, complete with popcorn.....if, however, they do not get 4 happy faces, there will not be a movie...this also means that the movie (or whatever reinforcement you choose) is not given at any other time for any other reason and you have to be willing to follow through !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have to make them seperate. Mine are also 5 and 3 and have the worst habit of saying, "You're not my sister anymore!" So when they do or they fight I tell them they can no longer play together. They hate it because they really ARE best friends. I think it stems from spending too much time together and the 5 year old becoming more of their own person and wanting to do things that don't include their sibling all the time.
    My best advice would be to seperate them for about 10 minutes, make them keep themselves busy and tell them that if they can't get along they can't play together.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I make them stand st the wall for the amount of time that equals their age. They have to look at it until the timer on the microwave goes off, and then they have to hug and say they were sorry. If they talk, or turn around their time starts over. It's a harder time out because they can't move and they aren't sitting. Works for our 7 and 8 yr olds. They haven't had to do it for a very long time....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Start counting.. slowly.. and every five seconds.. , if they havent stopped whatever they are doing.. you take something away from each of them for a day,
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 1:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• ha ha smiley faces on a calender or "reward chart" that is a huge laugh in my house....I have had the same reward chart up on the wall for 2 months now...not a single sticker or smiley...nothing. I am an emotional wreck and so afraid I am going to snap and hurt them one of these days because of their defiance...It is not just them fighting, it is their all around attitudes and them not listening to mom and dad...when we are at someone elses house, they are angels but at home or out to eat or even at the grocery store they are holy terrors.
    MamaCortney

Comment by MamaCortney (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I give my son one spank and then a time out for 5 minutes.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2010