Teens and Facebook

My almost 14 year old niece has a Facebook page. My sister has one, but is never on it and had asked me to keep an eye on what is said on her page. Well, there were a couple of times where I called my sis and told her that her DD was extremely inappropriate and my sis talked to my niece about it.
Well, I realized about two weeks ago that I wasn't seeing her updates and I went to visit her page. I was blocked from seeing her wall. I called my niece and she claimed she didn't know what happened, and tried some things and I could then see her wall.
Now, I again noticed I'm not seeing her updates and again, I'm blocked from seeing her wall. She claims she's not blocking me, but she can't explain why this is happening.
I talked my sis and response was "Well, at least she's realized that her comments are not ok and has blocked you from seeing it" HUH??? Should teens have privacy on Facebook?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No at 13 there shouldn't be any privacy for her online activities. Your sister should have her daughter's password and she should be checking on the fb page herself.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• For our 14 yr old son we know his password so I can access it anytime I want to. I think her Mom is just being lazy... Expecting you to watch out for her is stupid, and lazy... I would tell her to be an active parent and get the passwords, and check it often. If she doesn't want to do that then her daughter doesn't need a FB page. I also make my son remove anyone that's being rude, or inappropriate on his page.. He knows the rules, and if he doesn't abide by them, he has no FB...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If you allow your child on to a social networking site at the TOS approved age, then you either must deal with what they post OR you must have their password and keep a tight fist of control on the site at all times.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I got the same problem. My sister in law lets my niece just do whatever the hell she wants. Then asks us to keep an eye on her. Like are you kidding me, imma keep an eye on her regaurdless because she is my niece and lord knows if my brother was alive my niece wouldnt get away with half the things she does. I think your sister should be snooping on her herself because she doesnt appriciate you looking out when she requested it.

In the end there is not much we can do but let the parents be the parents. I want to be a good aunt but her mom wont allow it because she just runs and lets her do what she wants anyway. So whats the good of me yelling at her. It really does nothing anymore. I just make sure im a good role model to her and show he the things I do is right and what my kids can and cant do is what she should have been taught. Thats all I can do.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 1:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I will be the first person to admit that my sis will not win any 'mother of the year' awards. I think she is a lazy mother and refuses to do the things I think she should do to protect her children. She thinks I'm too strict and I think she is way to loose with her parenting. I've been helping her parent since she became a mother 16 years ago. I've bought her kids their back to school supplies, I've picked them up when they missed the bus and my sister couldn't get out of bed to take them to school and I have them sleep over when my sister wants some 'me' time. It's frustrating, but I fear what will happen to them if I don't keep being an involved aunt.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• OH and as for your niece claiming she doesn't know how you got blocked...that's a big old line of BS! She knows exactly how it is happening.....She's doing it. And honestly, as her aunt it is not your job to monitor her - it is her mother's and if she can't be bothered - then why a computer in the house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Obviously the teen is lying! And I would call it on her. "Do you really thing im that dumb!" she is trying to play that card & think she can outsmart you..
    Your sis shouldnt have put that on YOUR shoulders to watch her child like that! She should own up to her responsibilites & not put that on you. Your sis is putting you up against your niece. and thats not good cause its hurting your relationship. There is nothing worse to a teen than a family member/ close friend that rats you out all the time!
    The mom should have passwords, or own account & check in our her daughter!
    It seems like you are parenting the kid a bit anyways.. But mom still control the shows :( you can try your best but you cant let it control your thoughts or your life.. these are her kids.. One day they will be thankful u where there. and realize mom isnt doing the mom thing well..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• her mother needs to be more involved. My niece is 13 & will post things like "I'm bored, text me" and put her number on there. Her profile is private, but not her statuses (I've had friends check). I've told my BIL and he doesn't do anything, soo frustrating!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have that same dilemma. My sister does not have a computer (yet) but her daughter has a facebook page. There are two of us in the family who have been keeping an eye on her page, and have called her on some inappropriate stuff. Now both of us have been deleted from her friends list. If a child is going to be on facebook, the parent absolutely should have the password for it and keep an eagle eye on that page.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My 13 and 15 yo 1/2 brother and sister have it., still dont understand why!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010