How can I get my 16 month to sleep through the whole night?

sweetjolie1

Asked by sweetjolie1 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont respond to him. there is no need for feeding at this age, the only reason i owuld respond to my baby is if she needed a diaper or was sick. if she doesnt feel fevered and isnt poopy i go back to bed and she goes back to sleep even if it takes 15 minutes. just dont pick him up! eventually he will only call for you if he really needs something. good luck and its a hard process to stop resonding but it does work!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Why doesn't he sleep? Does he need a new diaper, does he get cold, or he can't put himself back to sleep alone?
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My DIL had to let her youngest cry it out at this age. Nothing else worked. It took three nights. I never had this problem with my two boys.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Good Luck. My son is 18 months old and the only way he will sleep all night is if he is bed with me. I have tried everything other than ignoring him, which I can't do I feel if my child is crying that there has to be some reason whether if it is just that he wants to snuggle. I always think about how when he gets bigger he wont want to be close to me so I just enjoy every minute I get to spend with him even if it is in the middle of the night while we should be sleeping.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Worked wonders for us and deals with sleep issues from birth to the teenage years.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Does he sleep with an stuffed animal or comfort item. Letting him have a stuffed animal or blanket may comfort him. Use a night light or leave the door open a crack and maybe he will be comforted. He will learn to self soothe and go back to sleep in a few days if you don't respond to him crying or calling for you.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010