I have a 3 yr old son and am 9 days from delivering my baby girl via c-section. . Is it a good idea to let my son stay wit his grandmother for a while so i won't be so overwhelmed?? I don't want him to feel left out but he is so energetic and i don't know whether i would be able to handle both of them together.

chiachick2005

Asked by chiachick2005 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do whatever makes you and your children happy and comfortable. You will need some help for a couple weeks while healing from your c-section. Good Luck Momma!
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends. How far away is the grandmother? Does he love being with her? Can they visit you daily? When I had me second c-section I had my mom with me for a week and then my MIL came for a week. Plus my DH took some time off after that. It would be best if your 3 year old could be in his own home but do whatever allows you to get your strength back qucikly. you may have more energy than you imagine! Best wishes and congrats!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Is there anyway his grandmother could come over and stay with you instead of sending your son away to be with her? That way you will have some help and he won't feel rejected? Is he used to being with her? If so it would probably be fine I would think. I really missed my older kids when I had a new baby, I have 3 kids, with 2 years in between each time. I never had a problem adjusting, but I also had my husband home for a week and I didn't have a c-section.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wanted to send my son over to my moms house too but then I thought about it. I figured it would be best she stood with me. Just so my son can be around his two favorite people me and my mom and get to know the new baby. I have a very energetic son as well and I know how this is... He is the energizer bunny and can not be left alone for one second so I def need someone to help me watch him until I can walk around normally and function again. I say bring mama over, maybe she needs the vacation too ;-) I go in for my c-section on the 28th. Good luck to you!
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 1:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My mother passed away a year an half ago. My daughters father is no longer in the picture. My son is from a different father than my daughter so i don't think his grandmother would be willing to help me out with my daughter. My son does like being with her at first. But i have left him for over 2 days when i work alot and he does get to crying cuz he hasn't seen me. They live about 20 minutes from me so she wouldn't be willing to take my son to see me either. She doesn't like the curves our roads have. It is basically me an my children. I do have friends offering to come over and help me out but i don't wan to impose too much.
    chiachick2005

Comment by chiachick2005 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• After reading your response I would ask the friends to help out and see how it goes so your son doesn't feel more left out. Have the friends help most with the newborn (except for feedings), meals, and laundry so you can focus on your son. I am sorry about your mom passing away. You might also ask at the Dr or hospital about any social services that might be of help to you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• okay, how about he goes to gma and maybe SO and/or friends can bring him over daily (set up a schedule with them and gma) and then take him back after so that he gets time with you and at home and you get recovery.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I dont think your friends would offer to help if they really didnt want to, and dont think ur taking advantage or nothing, ur about to have major surgery take whatever help u can get and def ask ur doc or nurse for any special services you might be able to get considering ur situation.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 8:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010