Why isn't Obama wearing his wedding band?

As I understand it, Muslim men are prohibited from wearing any jewelry especially during Ramadan, as the wearing of jewelry is considered "haraam" which means forbidden or "Tashabuh bil nisa" which means dressing/trying to look like women."

So is this why Obama is SUDDENLY not wearing his custom made Indonesian wedding band--having worn it regularly until now? Considering Muslims are currently observing Ramadan is this just a coincidence or indicative of Obama's faith?

And how does one suddenly need to repair a wedding band?! That was the excuse given by a White House staffer! You'd think the POTUS could get band repaired instantly, or borrow a staffers band for the press conference! LOL

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1009/potus_goes_ringless_at_presser.html

Yeah...it's a slow news day! :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 1:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ring repaired my behind, if he is a Muslim he should not be ashamed to admit it. Unless, he just does not want us to know he lied about it.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He is not wearing his wedding band because.......of the picture that was taken of him and Michelle standing for the pledge and they both had their left hands over their heart. We knew it wasn't a reversed image because of the rings. So, if he makes the same mistake the ring won't give it away.

That's the best I can do off the cuff.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• So I'm confusd over all this stuff over his religion. Isn't America about freedom? I can only imagine what would happen if we ever had an Atheist president!

Not bashing you OP... just America in general that their president may not have the same religion as the majority of the nation. And that they believe EVERY Muslim to be evil because of what a few may have done. That would be like hating all men because one was a pedofile or hating every woman because some women go nuts and kill thier kids. Senseless.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I know, LK. I just couldn't think of any reason why he isn't wearing his. Is she wearing hers? A lot of men don't wear a ring, but he always has worn it. You know what I like. Suddenly, PBO and Biden are giving Bush snaps for things. They are talking nice. It just makes me giggle to see them trying to soften the rhetoric about Bush right here before the election. PBO can't even say the word "stiimulus" but he is trying to win back some lost conservative support by talking nice about Bush. I think he comments were correct, too few, too late, and completely meant to manipulate. How fickle does he think we are?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• OMG I can't believe question turned into this.. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Apparently, going with the obvious and logical "there are a lot of reasons why he may not be wearing his ring, none of which would have to do with being Muslim or getting divorced" means you are defending Obama and making ridiculous excuse after excuse.

Because normal people NEVER lose their wedding rings, never take them off because they need to be repaired, and never EVER take them off due to weather causing your fingers to swell or shrink. Never. Those are not logical explanations. The ONLY logical explanation is that he is either Muslim or getting divorced.

I don't think most of us are offended, I think most of us think this line of thinking that it must be one of 2 ludicrous reasons is just flat out stupid.
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 8:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• since Obama is a double secret probation muslim who removed his ring for Ramadan, how come the first sighting of him without it came AFTER Ramadan ended?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Ooooh, ok. So you're totally OK with tearing a family apart with 2 young girls because you think the guy is a jackass because you don't agree with his political opinions? Ya... I thought conservatives were supposed to stand for family values? What part of encouraging someone to divorce their spouse because you don't like them is supporting family values?
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 8:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Lol, my Muslim husband said this in regards to the OP's question..."They say something weird...I never heard it in my life..."
    Some Muslim men wear jewelry. Some believe they should not because it shows too much attention to having expensive things rather than being close to God. Some believe only gold is too ostentatious. None of it has anything to do with Ramadan.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think the answer lies here.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010