is it okay to breastfeed and bottlefeed??

like breastfeed in the day time and at night use formula in a bottle? or is that a big no no?

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 1:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did it with my first and I had no problems whatsoever. I had enough milf to feed three or four babies. I wouldn't stop leaking all day and night for about 9 months. I used formula daily because I needed to give him medicine in a bottle for seizures and he wouldn't take it with my breastmilk. I was told by my doctors to do that in order to get the meds in him. He was perfectly fine never had any problems going from bottle to breast he just wanted to eat. It worked for my but it may not work for others.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 6:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You can but in order to keep your supply up it would be best not to. Honestly breast feeding is easier to do at night! No bottle making or cleaning just get the baby help him/her latch and when he done you both go back to bed. DH used to bring mine to and from the bed room so I never even had to get up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• YES of course it is.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It completely depends on whom you ask this question.

IMO: you are concerned that your baby gets the best nutrition to grow healthy, right? So, formula is good, breast is better, but you need to take into consideration your lifestyle and what you can accomplish without making yourself all stressed out. IMO again, it is better to establish breastfeeding well, for 2-3 weeks exclusively and then start to introduce the bottle. Most women will find if difficult to sustain the breastmilk supply if you don't nurse for 8-12 hours at a time. But if you are talking about one bottle in the middle of the night, it should work out fine. It's kind of trial and error with your body and the baby's temperment. Good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I suppose you can. However, it can affect your supply and breastfeeding is way easier. I honestly can't think of any good reason to use formula at night.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, you can... but it may effect your breastmilk supply.. and over time it may cause breastfeeding problems from bm supply going down.. Also your child may get nipple confusion (nursing & bottlefeeding is 2 different jobs for a baby.. Different muscles in the mouth have to work.. and some babies may learn to prefer one over the other.. Either they will want to nurse because its close to momma/the taste/or something (some nursing babes REFUSE a bottle)... Or some babies will refuse to nurse & prefer a bottle since its less work..

Good luck :)
    I nursed & pumped.. and when dd spent the day with granny on saturday she used a bottle just fine.. but it was only 1-2 times a week..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• This is what I plan on doing. Maybe not necessarly during those times of day but I know for a fact that she will have to bottle feed. I would love to stay at home with her all the time but mommy just cant do that. I have to work. But they do say not to introduce the bottle until breastfeeding is well established between you too because they dont want the baby to get confused. And like posted above if introduced to soon it could affect your supply. By the way does anyone have any good websites to go to on first time moms breastfeeding. I want this experience to go as well as possible for the both of us!!
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010