Tips on Pumping?

I'm looking for any tips or websites on pumping. I'm going to be exclusively pumping (for many reasons that I don't feel need to be shared with anyone so anyone who starts in on me for it will be ignored entirely). I have a Medala Pump in Style Advanced and have been pumping for about a week, getting about 15 oz per day. I'd like the maximize my output to save as much milk as I can. My child is just over one week old and taking about 2 oz per feeding.

What is a good schedule?
What amounts should I be looking for as a good amount for each session? (So far, I'm getting between two and four ounces per session- usually closer to the two side)
Does the bra worn during the day make a difference (underwire, no wire, sleep bra, etc)?
Have you used any of the milk saving devices (like Milkies, or the Avent breast shields) in conjunction with pumping?

Any other tips are appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should join the breastfeeding moms group here. Lots of help, and no word limits.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I did not exclusivity pump I nursed and pumped. Make sure you cluster pump at the same times you baby cluster feeds for growth spurts. Drink LOTS of water, (I dunno why) but eating oatmeal helps, and try listening to a recording of you child while you pump to help with let down. Not all women are able to exclusively pump for a full year so don't be disappointed it that is your goal. During times when you production is low you can take Fenugreek seed to help. Also remember that ANY breast milk is better than NO breast milk so anyone who give you a hard time can stick it in their ear! I do hope that if nursing is a possibility for you that you have given it a try. I thought I would HATE it but it turned out to be wonderful. Good luck your doing well!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I know it is strange - but pump in front of your baby or with a picture of your baby. I couldn't get any milk with my second born. I had to sit in the church and think about him, his toes, his fingers, everything I loved about him, how absolutely precious he was, completely sappy stuff before the milk would start to flow. If you are having trouble pumping much I would give it a shot.

I rarely pumped but with my first it poured when I pumped - 8 to 10 ounces!! And that was when he was 3 months old. Hopefully it goes really well for you!

Congratulations on your new baby!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If you can hold your lO while you pump it will help a ton, I can pump twice as much if I can hold my dd at the same time, no joke. If you have a sling this will be much easier. Also, if you can hold your baby skin to skin while you pump it will help. Every time your LO takes a bottle, pump. If you pump for 15 minutes (or until the flow slows to almost stopping) then massage your breast and continue pumping I have heard that this helps increase output, but for me it didn't make a difference. Also, skin to skin contact in general can help keep your supply up, and help you bond with your baby. As for the type of bra, just make sure it isn't tight, compressing your breast will slow production (but compressing while pumping can help output).
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• What is a good schedule? i would pump every 2 hrs for the first 3 mts and then i went every 3- 4 hrs
    What amounts should I be looking for as a good amount for each session? (So far, I'm getting between two and four ounces per session- usually closer to the two side) 2 oz per breast is normal output. i would get alot more but i have an oversupply. my output was anywhere form 4-10 oz a sitting. my average pumping per day was anywhere form 36-45 oz.
    Does the bra worn during the day make a difference (underwire, no wire, sleep bra, etc)?no wire no wire. i wore a breastfeeding bra
    Have you used any of the milk saving devices (like Milkies, or the Avent breast shields) in conjunction with pumping? i had a manual pump also

piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding moms group. Expect your best pump output to be first thing in the am and try your absolute best to pump every 2-3 hours, or when your LO eats.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010