Any suggestions for severe male adult acne?

My poor DH has always had terrible adult acne, and he's tried everything to get rid of it. He's changed his diet, used different products, etc. Nothing works.

I feel awful for him, because more than anything, it HURTS. Sometimes just one of our kids bumping his face wrong can be incredibly painful. If I had a magic wand, curing his acne would be the first thing I'd do!

Any suggestions? :-/

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 1:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Health

• Have him take zinc and go to a dermatologist and ask for Acutane. It works great on severe acne. i had it when i was a teenager and I only occasionally get a pimple now. And yes a good multi-vitamin regimen helps as well.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• what's his skin type. i can tell you what's best for him if i know if he has dry, oily, or combination skin and how sensitive his skin is (not where the acne is, i mean the skin not the acne)
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• oh but i might ad that acne starts internally. he should be taking a multi vitamin EVERY DAY and drinking lots of water, at least 4 full glasses. again let me know about the skin type
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My best diagnosis is combination - his skin can get very oily, but it also dries out easily so he can't go without moisturizing at some point each day. I don't know if his skin is overly sensitive, it's so hard to tell because the acne reacts badly to almost everything. But if I had to guess, I'd say it has become pretty sensitive because of all the years he's been trying these different products on it.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh thank you for the reminder about the vitamins too...I honestly think the ONE time his skin cleared up the best was when he was taking some very potent multivitamins. I need to get him taking them again.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010