my son is a month old and im worried because he hasnt pooed or had a good poo in like 2 or 3 days what can i do to make him poo because i think thats whats making him fussy? Please help!!

mama.amber

Asked by mama.amber at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried Karo syrup in his bottle? Of course, if you're bf'ing, this won't work. I'd suggest calling your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i had this prob with my son. he wouldn't take "normal" poos til he was about 6 months old. they were always rock hard and too big for his poor butthole. and he's only poo about 1 time A WEEK if we were lucky. we tried the karo syrup in his bottle..didn't work. what i found to work best is reducing his formula (his ped reccommended it). instead of doing like the 4 scoops for every 8 oz (or however you do it), we do 3 scoops for 8 oz. just try reducing the amount. unless you're bf'ing. then i don't know what to tell you. maybe it's something you're eating.
    proud_ng_wife

Answer by proud_ng_wife at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• try that karo syrup or a very little bit of prune juice and distilled water
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• this is normal, most young babies, up until around 6 months, don't poop on a regular schedule, most just a few times a week. But, if your child is breastfed, it is normal for them to only poop once per week. If it gets longer than that, or he seems in pain, contact ped. to make sure there is nothing wrong. NEVER GIVE A BABY THIS YOUNG ANY FORM OF PRUNES (juice or solids) they cannot digest it and it will make it worse. In 95% of the time, just wait him out. When his body is ready, he will poop!
    DHisKid3

Answer by DHisKid3 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son had this problem when he was about that age and I just gave him a few oz of water and it helped. When that wouldn't work I gave him a mix of 1oz water and 1oz grape juice and he went like crazy!
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Just to add to the post above mine, breastfed babies usually poo every time they eat so that post makes no sense. This information came to me from my pediatrician. As long as you don't give them a lot of juice they will be fine. I agree with the comment that said reduce the amount of formula. If you go to google and read how the colon takes water out of food and how that can cause constipation you'll have a better understanding of why juice and water work.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Don't give him anything different than formula or breastmilk! A young baby sometimes only poops a couple times a week. My son pooped every third day until he was about 5 months old. Formula, and especially breastmilk, contain almost ALL ingredients that your baby's body uses... there's almost no waste, therefore no poop. If you're starting your baby on solids already, it is possible for him to be constipated, but then you should maybe give him a little water or lay off the solids for a day or 2. Also, pump his legs like you would if you were trying to get him to fart. That'll help too. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2008