Ham for soup.............not peas

Does anyone have a recipe for soup, other than split pea, made with a leftover ham bone? I've checked several cooking websites but I'd really love a personal recommendation. Thanks!!

elizabr

Asked by elizabr at 1:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I dunno but we have made ham bone green beans and potatoes before and it was GOOD! Just all boiled together with the ham bone in the pot.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I've used hambones in bean soup- follow the directions on the package of dried beans- but I toss out the seasoning mix since it is full of artificial stuff. Also in regular vegetable soup- add onions, carrots, potatoes and any other vegetable that you like. Also in potato soup- cook up the ham bone, remove the meat and let the broth sit in the refrigerator over night so you can lift off any fat. Add potatoes, onions, and cook well. Mash with potato masher.

Answer by Bmat at 1:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• cream of potato and ham soup, or ham and potato chowder...just Google those 2 soups and it will bring you some recipes
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I just make ham and beans out of it simple soak your beans overnight in water in the crockpot and the next morning turn it on and add the ham in there and later when you are about ready to eat make some corn bread Yummo!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I use the ham bone to cook homemade green beans. You can also boil it and make a chowder that's really good (think ham and potoato soup). You can also buy bags of mixed beans (sometimes called Calico bean soup or Hillbilly bean soup) and that's really good with a ham bone. If you don't find something you like right now, stick it in your freezer for later. We do this with the ham bones and chicken "left overs" when I roast a whole chicken.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010