Decorating Table Question

I'm using a tablecloth on my dining room table. Should I also use placemats? I have napkins that match the tablecloth, but are placemats also important? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think it depends how decorative the tablecloth is. If it's plain, floral placemats might be nice. If the tablecloth is something like an embroidered linen then it is enough on it's own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if you're going to use the napkins, then you need the placemats..unless you are stacking your plateware and placing the napkins on top each setting. remember, though, if you think you have too much, you probably do. take one thing away if its looking too busy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends on the look you are going for.
    I don't use placemats, but I do leave my dining room table fully set with a formal table setting with a huge decorative martini glass filled with color coordinated stones as a centerpiece. Each seating has a charger, a large place and a small plate on top with a cloth napkin in a napkin ring laid across the top. We hardly ever sit at our dining room table and when we do I take everything off and reset it with other dishes.
    I find that doing this not only looks nice, but keeps everyone from using the table as a catch-all.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• *large plate (oops)
    FeelinYummy

• We do not use place-mats with our table cloths. And we use cloth napkins and table cloths every day. It isn't just for decoration at our table.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i usually use either placemats or a table cloth but if you want to use both then i'm sure that's fine too... If its got a pattern it could look too busy, that's all
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010