I haven't been to church since my mother's funeral a year an half ago. A friend told me recently that i should start going again so i can get both of my kids baptized next summer. After all the losses we have had in our family i feel like stepping foot in a church won't do me any good. Should i do this just for my children or when my faith fully returns?? I do believe in God but my faith hasn't been as strong.

chiachick2005

Asked by chiachick2005 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The only way to renew your faith is to return to church and to return to God.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 1:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• IMO, you are seeking grace. Just going into the church may help you feel like you are there seeking grace and for your faith to return. Just doing what has been familiar in the past might help you to find your faith again. Hugs to you....I do understand.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Church is not a building, church is where 2 or 3 gather together (and upon there the Lord is in the midst of them). God understands your pain. Perhaps to be around people who can provide a hedge around you by keeping you lifted up in prayers and giving moral support is the 1st step. Best advise I can give is do something because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to. God wants us to follow Him by our free will.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 2:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I am sorry about the loss of your mother. Since you are asking the question, I feel that you must be seeking. Become active in your church (or "a" church") again. What have you got to lose? If you hate it, and if you have tried other churches for a better fit, then so you drop out again. What have you got to gain? Besides your children being raised with a religious community and with beliefs that you agree with, there are benefits to yourself.

Answer by Bmat at 2:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You don't HAVE to go to church BUT church is a wonderful place to grow. I have not been to church in 5 years and started going 3 weeks ago. I LOVE being back. I had forgotten how much I truly got out of going. Even though my faith never left me I feel I have grown spiritually leaps and bounds in the last 3 weeks. I actually look forward to Sunday! The trick is finding the right church to meet your needs. Good luck!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would wait until your faith returns. Most churches want to see participating parents before baptizing their children. Search yourself and find out if if you want to participate in a church. And if it is important to you to baptize your children. Only you can answer this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My best advice is to spend some extra time with God on your own time. Read the Bible or a devotional book, or even something like "The Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel. Setting foot in church won't necessarily do you any good if you don't want to be there. Going to a specific building with a large group of people does not benefit your faith, unless fellowship is really what you're thirsting for. It also puts you in a position to feel judged, which is not what you need when you are trying to find your footing with your faith again. Many of us feel closer to God when we spend more time with Him alone, listening to what He tells us, rather than what other people tell us. I hope that helps.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• so you want to go to church so you can have your kids get baptised?
    how old are they?
    ...the kids should decided to get baptised on their own when they are ready
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I haven't been to church in 10 years (since my mom stopped forcing me to go at age 16); I definitely don't go just for my DD (she is too young to get it right now anyway, but I doubt I'll go back when she's older either). If she wants to go when she's old enough to make that decision, fine by me; 3x/week for 8 years was MORE than enough.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Wow, okay why did I get voted down?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010