How do you sort you canned goods?

How do you store them, in racks or on shelves, in flat boxes like a grocery store??

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 1:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• what a different question! I've never read this one before!! That a real trick around here. :0) I don't have to many canned good one hand at a time so I stack them on a self by product type. Soup/chef, veggie, fruit, tomatoes, canned milk... Since I don't have a lot it's easy to go through the stack when I need to find something.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I sort them by type (veggies together, tomato products together, fruits together, etc.) in racks like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Organize-All-1866-Soup-Rack/dp/B000KKIP3Y) that I keep in the pantry my husband built for me.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• There are shelves and big flat drawers in my pantry. So I store boxes and bottles that are too tall for the drawers on the shelves.
    The drawers are very shallow and made for cans. I have them sorted by vegetable type: beans, tomato products, corn, unusual vegetables (beets, asparagus, mushrooms, etc- things I only keep 1 or 2 of), fruit, salad dressings, condiments.

Answer by Bmat at 2:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• luckily, the house we rent is older, and has tons of kitchen storage..that has shorter heights, so you can only stack cans by twos..but, there are lots of cabinets. one whole 4x4 section is for canned goods..sorted by type of content: vegs/beans, fruits, soups, broths, etc.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Just like the grocery store, that way I know exactly what and how many I've got. I get teased alot about it :)
    ladycertz

Answer by ladycertz at 2:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• the only thing i buy in a can is tuna, so i just put it in the pantry, stacked on top of each other...no sorting needed, lol
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I sort by type and combine like items.
    frugalistamom2

Answer by frugalistamom2 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have a cupboard that is for soups, canned meat and canned fruit, canned pasta...this cupboard is for the ready to eat food the family can grab something when they need to.
    My small pantry has canned tomatoes, beans of every kind, sauces of every kind, canned pie filling all those things I need when I'm cooking.
    I also have another cupboard for canned veggies, and canned potatoes. this cupboard is for when i run out of fresh or frozen veggies and fresh potatoes
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I should also add that everything is organized so if you open a cupboard and see, say, chicken noddle soup you know that there are 6 of the same right behind it so there is no moving anything around, you just open the door and what you need is right there.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I can almost everything we have but I do keep it in my pantry and it is all sorted together, all greens beans,all jelly, all fruit, all corn , etc and I have a huge pantry with the newest modern shelving they have out the white with plastic and slates I know you've seen it on TV and in ads
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010