Dog won't "go" in the yard

We moved recently and up until this week, I've been walking my dog. The house we are in has a small side yard that was originally built for the previous tenants' dog to go out. My dog has gone out there and used it, but she has refused to do anything more than pee right in the little patch of grass by the door in the last couple of days. There have been two dogs that have used it in the past, but its been mowed and cleaned up since then. And she also had no problem using the yard at our previous house and that had been used by a different dog before as well. So, I'm not sure why she has a problem with using it now. Its getting colder and harder to take her and my 13 month old and her out for walks, any suggestions?

chillemi78

Asked by chillemi78 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pets

• There are lots of things you can do to stop her from going in the house. Putting her out (if your yard is fenced and you can keep an eye on her ) for 25 to 30 minutes directly after meals , then bringing her right inside and crating her for 1 to 2 hours then putting her back outside is a good way to stop the pottying in the house. Dogs wont poop where they sleep. If she does have an accident , firmly say NO then put her directly outside and IGNORE HER . Dogs learn that when they are ignored , they are in trouble. Continue to ignore her and do not praise her until she does whats expected and goes outside. When she does do both poop and pee in the yard , give praise and a small treat. She will associate going out and using the bathroom with praise and going potty in the house with being ignored and in trouble.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• She also may be constipated or have a UTI infection , especially if she has never done these things before , if she doesent seem right and this goes on for a few more days , you may want to call a vet and see if he thinks it is a medical or behavoral issue.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Oh, no, she's not going in the house, she waits until I put her on the leash and take her out. She's just being stubborn about not using the yard to poop. I knwo the smell of the other dogs canlinger, but she has gone out there before. I've tried going out there with her, throwing the ball out, but she waits until I give in and take her for a walk. I've tried waiting longer, figuring if she has to go bad enough,she will go out there, but no luck. And I do give in because I don't want her stomach to get messed up. She's very well housebroken and will not go inside unless she is sick, but that last thing I need is her back end exploding because I was too stubborn! But thanks, Mama-who knew that from all of the Cm mamas, it would be someone I know answering my question!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It's likely she's wanting to be close to you and safety. This really is a training issue. She doing a really great job of training you. :)

She is doing "her thing" somewhere. Collect it and spread it throughout the yard where she is supposed to go. Leave it there. Dogs are stimulated by the smell of waste and will choose an area close to it to repeat the process. Crating her, then walking her to the far end of the yard where you have "seeded" it and waiting until she's done "her thing" will help. Praise her as if she just laid a golden egg! It will take time and some effort on your part, but will pay off in spades. Her smell spread thru the yard will help her to feel more comfortable. You can always clean it up after she's "going" reliably on her own.

.
    EllenSchnak

Answer by EllenSchnak at 10:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The best time to put your dog in that side yard to "poo" would be AFTER (about 20-30 minutes) she eats a large meal. Hopefully, you have another adult in your home to sit with your child, so you can be sure to keep your dog out there long enough to do her "doo" -ty" ~ you might need to walk your dog around that area a few times, until it gets the idea & the urge. Be sure to give BIG PRAISES once there is success! Please don't make going to the side yard a punishment. Try to make it seem like a priveledge & good thing! Once the dog relieves itself, PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE!! SUCH A GOOD DOG! You both will be much happier & "relieved"!
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• From what my dogs have shared with me in the past, they don't like to poop where they play and live, but my dogs may have been off. lol good luck!
    anasgram

Answer by anasgram at 2:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If she is used to being walked to poop you may have a problem. I am fostering a dog that refuses to poop in the back yard. He was always walked for him to do his thing. He has gotten better with the peeing, but the pooping isn't doing so well. So I have compromised . We go out front to the mail box area and some small area near the house, he will poop within a few minutes and we go back in. I have walked him on lead in the back yard also to no avail. So go figure whats in thier minds. At least going in the front yard is close and quick! Good luck to you and yours.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Try putting her on a leash and taking her into the back yard. Walk her around back there till she does her thing, and then take her back inside.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2008