Should I Change My Toddler's Bedtime?

My 2 1/2 yr old son usually goes to bed between 7 and 7:30 but he will sit up there for up to an hour talking and reading and sometimes fooling around. We do our usual routine EVERY night and he he has soothing music etc. Could he be overtired or not tired enough? I can not figure it out. I do notice if we do put him to bed later he does the same thing. He does still nap and I have tried dropping those but he is a terror without them..thoughts?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well he may just like the alone time to wind down himself everynight. I say as long as HE is ok with it and its peaceful for both you and him then there is no problem for him to read and talk for an hr before going to sleep. 7:30 sounds like a pretty decent bedtime, even if he doesnt actually fall asleep for an hour.

wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Our youngest took a long time to settle down. Our oldest was out cold in 5 minutes. If he's being quiet and not causing problems I would leave him alone and stay with the 7 PM. Especially if he has been doing the same thing if you move bed time to 8.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks...I think it's so strange because when he is put down for a nap he is out in 5 min but bedtie is a different story..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He may just need that routine to settle down; my oldest is the same way. She talks to herself, goes and gets new stuffed animals/blankets for her bed, refills her water cup, etc for up to an hour or more every single night. We've tried everything to skip that routine and it just doesn't work. She eventually settles herself down as long as we don't interfere. My youngest, on the other hand, is out cold the second you put her in bed. Just BAM, she's asleep and stays asleep alllll night! Kids are very different, and it sounds to me like your son just needs to get that last hour of "stuff" out of him before he can settle down. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't change his bed time. It sounds like it's his way of winding down and getting to sleep. You said it yourself, if you put him to bed later, he does the same thing. I'd keep the nap if you can too. He'll stop napping when he's ready. The only thing I suppose you could try if you're concerned that he's not getting enough sleep would be to start the bed time routine earlier so that his hour of winding down leads to sleep at 7:30. Just a thought.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yea, twinclubmom, that was a question I had as well..I know going to bed later wouldn't work but wondered if earlier might help..I suppose I could always try...
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• another issue I have is that because he is up @ 6 AM @ the latest he is EXAUSTED by 11:30 AM. WHich stinks because every actvity centered around toddlers is during then, If I put him down any later he REFUSES to nap. Therefor, I assume he is overtired? The rest of the day is a total wash and nightmare.
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010