Anyone go geocaching?

I've heard about this before but I was thinking it would be something my boys would like to do. It seems kind of expensive to start though as I do not have a cell phone with a gps nor do I have a car gps unit, so I'd have to invest in one. What's the best way to start geocaching?

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 2:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• How old are your boys? I was at Targets a week ago and saw a child's unit for $49.95. It was simple to use. I was looking for one for myself (still looking cos I could not find the right one for me yet). It is a fun activity and like going on a treasure hunt! There are different games to play like geogolf (google that as I can't explain it, lol), geomystery, geo so many other things.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 2:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My boys are 5 and 8. I'll have to look into the geomystery thing, sounds like it could be fun!
    Mommy22boys

Comment by Mommy22boys (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We used to go letterboxing. It's the low tech version. You can find lists online where you can find boxes (we found ours in local parks when we lived in PA). We had a notebook and a stamper. We'd each leave our fingerprint and our name and would stamp our book with whatever was in the box we found. And then take a family pick to put in our notebook. I forget what site it was I found the list at. I probably just googled letterboxing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Never heard of geocatching but sounds interesting. Is it just activities to do as a family?
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Letterboxing is MUCH less expensive and lots of fun. We earned a badge about it and the girls had a great time.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I just learned about letterboxing (looked it up online). I may start with this and see how it goes. Doesn't look as popular as geocaching but definately more wallet friendly! lol
    Mommy22boys

Comment by Mommy22boys (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• That sounds like fun! I have been looking for things to do with my son I should look into doing this
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think for geocaching you may want a handhelp GPS since many of the finds are not on roads. My dh and I have one but haven't gone out on a hunt yet. It sounds like alot of fun!!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 6:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have wanted to go geocacheing for awhile thanks for posting. Are there any good websites to start?
    kristi95

Answer by kristi95 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010