Has anyone thought if the true meaning behind the nursery rhymes we sing to our chldren?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 2:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is a cryptic meaning to all of them what about the ring around the rosey pocket full of posies ashes ashes we all fall down? there are many interpratations but the meaning has to do with plague.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yeah... like "You are my Sunshine" is actually about a man that swore to his wife/gf/s.o. that if she ever left him to love another, that he'd kill her. creepy, huh?
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Even fairy tales like Cinderella, the origional story all the women in the land wanted the glass slipper to fit so they could marry the prince, sooo they removed their toes so the slipper would fit. My older boy likes to read these around halloween time. They are kinda cool.lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have an old book of fairy tales and the original stories are very violent and sometimes gory.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you mean like how london bridges and ring around the rosey are about a horrible death in the plague and rock a by baby and it's raining it's pooring are about death and you are my sunshine is about an obsessed stalker (not many know that one cause they don't actually know the words, they only know the chorus) yeah ik about those. i sing blink 182 and other rock music to my daughter and play it for her and thats what she loves
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, most of them are pretty dark and creepy.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Um, you are my sunshine is NOT even about that. It was written by a man named Oliver Hood. It is actually one of Louisiana's state songs. Look it up. Charles Mitchell got credit for the lyrics,and Jimmy Davis wrote it. Has nothing to do with that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I knew about a few of these but not all. It's just crazy that these horrible songs have become songs we sing to our children. Who decided that?! Lol
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_My_Sunshine
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• "if you ever leave me you will regret it all some day" if that's not a slalker idk what is
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010