3 year old afraid of outside?

I really dont know what to do anymore. my dd will not go in our backyard. she is very sensitive to noises. (ex. loud bugs. rail cars clanking together, loud cars) but the anxiety has gotten to the point that she wont come outside to play and when you force her outside she screams and cries and bangs on the door like she is genuinely terrified. when you ask her why or what she thinks will happen she says she doesnt like the fireworks. but I try to explain to her that fireworks are only on 1 day and so forth. we didnt even make her do fireworks this year she sat inside. but the last 2 years she has hated fireworks. she wont swim in the pool. her grandparents bought her a new wooden playhouse/swingset and she wont use it. Im not sure what to do anymore or if i should just wait to see if she grows out of it. we even tried rewarding her if she went outside. (ex. lets go eat a popcicle, we can finger paint if you come outside.)

parkeralexismom

Asked by parkeralexismom at 2:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is her hearing OK? Just one idea .......... I have hearing problems. Worth getting checked out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Does she maybe have hyper-sensetive hearing, which would make all of those noises pretty scary. You could try having her hearing tested. Just a thought.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would go get her medically checked out. then if their is no medical issues. I would start making her go out side. First with you or a family member. See how that works. If none of that works, she might need to go see a therapist of some sort.

Answer by louise2 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with all of the above, have her hearing checked first, and if it OK, see a therapist. Hope you get it all figured out!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Have her hearing checked.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Hearing has been checked and is normal. me and my husband took her outside for about 10 minutes. its only in the backyard. she wants to keep her eyes closed like shes afraid to see. but then every noise she hears she screams louder than the crying already going on. she was also ok with being inside her play house but didnt want to be on the slide or out in the yard.
    parkeralexismom

Comment by parkeralexismom (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i know you said you checked her ears... but what about her eyes? my youngest is very very far sighted... and while she LOVES to be outside, noises scare her (her hearing is fine) because she has NO clue what they really are... she often closes her eyes and cries and screams as well... and she's done after about 10 minutes outside, while her big sister is just getting started...
    we spent lots of time cuddling just outside the door (i sat on the step holding her) talking about the noises we were hearing and talking about that they were "okay" noises... we did a little more each day, and it seems to have worked... no more screaming... she is still "skiddish" and will try to hide when a big truck or motorcycle goes by... but she will go outside...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would definitively talk to your pediatrician. There are a few medical things that could cause this sort of behavior (a form of autism, hearing, vision). You doctor can help you rule these out and get to the source of the behavior.

Good luck.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would definitely not force her to go out against her will. Speak with your pediatrician to see if they think she needs to be evaluated for some issues that might be contributing to her fears and her tendency to have her senses overloaded out in the yard.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010