bad group

Is there anything parents can do about your child hanging around a bad group of friends in school? When we aren't there with them how can we?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you have to hope that you have taught your child enough that they know right from wrong. I also think that you need to communicate with your children so you know what is going on.

If start telling them that they can not hang with these kids, it will be all the more reason to hang with them. I would talk to them and let them know how you feel about these children and guide them. In the end they need to make their own decisions.

If something happens then you need to be there to support your child. So when they come to you upset instead of saying "I told you so" You need to talk about what they learned from the experience.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree with cornflakegirl3. I had this problem with my son last year in 5th grade. I let him know I didn't approve, but didn't tell him he couldn't be friends with him. When he came home complaining that one of the 2 undesireable friends had done something nasty to him, I'd say, "That's not something a friend would do" or something to that nature. He eventually got tired of their shenangins on his own and hangs out with much nicer kids this year. His grades went up and he stopped giving me so much crap at home, too.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree w/ cornflakegirl3 in the respect that u have 2 hope that they'll remember & use the morals uve taught them. And honestly, IMO, kids r going 2 experiment w/ all sorts of things & as parents, we need 2 encourage them 2 make positive choices. And even if they don't always do so, doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up on the wrong path. I think it's all about what they've learned & taken away from it, that teaches them valuable lessons that we can't always & sumxs, that's the hardest part, bc no matter how many xs we tell them, "Ive been there, done that, I regret/ got hurt doing (this is that), I've learned my lesson, all they're hearing is it was ok 4 mom/dad or I'm not going 2 get hurt. We have 2 give them their space & trust. Does this make ne sense? I hope so, good luck!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2008