bad group

Is there anything parents can do about your child hanging around a bad group of friends in school? When we aren't there with them how can we?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Unfortunately, I don't think there IS much that you can do, other than talk to them - about how who they hang out with is a direct reflection on how others see them. Teachers, counselors and other students will make judgements about them based on who they spend their time with. Boys and other girls will make assumptions about their behavior, particularly as it relates to sex, drugs and alcohol, based on what these friends are known to do, even if your child doesn't engage in the "bad" behaviors him/ herself. The drama and gossip that goes with that can be a tough thing for your child to deal with and tough to disprove. Both of my daughters have come across this kind of "typing" with certain former friends, and eventually they choose how they want to be perceived and who they want to be friends with accordingly. I do suggest you have a conversation (or several) with your child emphasizing these points. Good luck!

xelamasmom

Answer by xelamasmom at 11:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Here is a rule I made with my 13 year old. You must earn our trust enable to gain privelages, and you must prove you are trust worthy to gain freedom. You must prove you can make better and proper choices in your actions, decision and yes friends to earn your right to have more options in freedom (going to the mall, going to the movies and what not). If you fail to prove to us you can select good choice of friends and prove you are trust worthy then it means you haven't started to mature or grow up, so until then, you will be treated how you behave based on trust and better choices. It seems to work very well.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 7:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2008