How many paid days off does your home daycare provider take?

My daycare provider is going to take 10 days vacation and 5 days sick this year. When I signed up she told me she never took off. I am a single parent and this is all the time I get off from work. This just seems unreasonable for someone who is self employeed. When I was an insurance agent I didn't even get weekends off. Also I pay at the top of the range for this area $185 week and it does not go down at 18 months.

e_copp

Asked by e_copp at 9:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine takes federal holidays...since almost all of her kids are military, most of the parents have them off. She also takes 14 days total vacation time, but she usually takes the 14 days a few here and a few there and her neighbor (who also helps out during the summer when she has more kids, and fills in if she has a doctors appt or the like) comes in and watches the kids, so we luck out on her vacation time. I don't see it as unreasonable, its the equivelent of what I got when I was a civilian...she is entitled to have a life and run her business as she sees fit--if I had a problem with it, I would have found another sitter.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My DH get's 20 days PTO (paid time off) each year. So the fact that she has taken 15 doesn't seem out of line to me..... I understand the frustration, seeing it means you have to find someone else to watch those days and have to pay more as a result. However, what she's taken does compare with those that "go" to work.

Also, before my kids were born, I worked at daycare CENTER. I had 15 days of PTO time there. That was 15 days....If I got those days, of course the center, had to bring in more staff, and pay that staff. PTO days are one of the cons of working with a daycare home. You are directly effected by and so is your pocket book.

Where in a day care center you don't feel the direct effect of the PTO days, but I can assure you the rate that a daycare center charges covers the cost of having to bring in subs.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I don't know about that. I'm in the process of opening a home daycare, and I've decided that I'm going to take as few days off as possible. The only holidays I'm taking off is July 4th, 2 days for Thanksgiving, and 2 days for Christmas. (5 days in all). I will have conferences that I will have to attend, but I'm going to try my best to get a sub for those days. I understand how hard it is to pay for daycare, let alone another sitter when daycare is closed. I want to keep that inconvenience to a minimum. However, I know other providers around here who take vacation like crazy. They take advantage of the fact that they're going to get paid anyway. I'm just kinda "iffy" on that.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• WOW......Next yr I might need to use daycare....that seems crazy to me.
    I see in OP's instance...it was not part of the *original* agreement. I'd look for another daycare provider ...if possible.
    On the other hand if you sign up for it from the get go...you already know what your gettin into.
    Personally...I would never pay for a daycare providers 2 week vacation. It's is a service being provided...no service....no pay.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No it isn't unreasonable. If she was working somewhere else you wouldn't consider it unreasonable. Why is she not entitled to a vacation and sick time??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My daycare has the same thing in their contract - actually it's 14 paid days off PLUS holidays. She makes sure to give me at least a month's notice of upcoming vacation days she's planning to take so that I can try to make arrangements with a friend or family member to cover that time for free or I pay a backup or take the days off myself if I can. It sucks for me, but everyone is entitled should get some time off now and then so I don't hold it against her.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• That's why I like day cares. There is always someone there. And even my child gets one week of unpaid vacation each year. I think it's reasonable for the person to take time off as any full time job would give you time off too. But it would be nice if the home care people had back ups for you instead of you struggling to find care.
    Anonymous

• I'm looking into opening a daycare. And I don't know that I would expect the parents to pay me when I'm not watching their children. I would be more concerned about the parents going on vacation for a week or two weeks and then me not getting paid for those weeks. If your watching 3 kids at $100 a week each and they all go on two week vacations That's $600 . What would you all do in that case?
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2009