Gestational Diabetes (any input would help).

I find out today if I have it and I'm most scared of having to have a c-section. If he's already double the size he's supposed to be for his original due date (my doctor refuses to make it sooner even though everything makes sense for me to me due at least a week sooner), what will happen if I start eating what they say on the diet? I mean, he's already big so if I start eating like they say now won't he just gain weight normally and then STILL be too big to deliver? H E L P !

ours

Asked by ours at 9:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Honey they don't truely know! I had GD with my first pregnancy and thank goodness it was diet controlled. I was scheduled to be induced on my due date because sh was supposed to be atleast 9 lbs. I ended up going into labor the day before my due date and had her vaginally w/ an epidural of course and when she arrived she was a mere 5.8 lbs! I had an ultrasound at every appointment to track her growth too. Don't fret over it.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• How soon are you due? I had GD and I started following a strict low sugar diet around 6 months. My son was the smallest of my 3. Have you seen a dietician? The reason I ask is because it sounds worse than it is. I felt like I was always eating and I was allowed sugar, something like 30gr per meal, then a snack, another meal, and a snack. But back to "when are you due?"
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 9:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• P.S. Did you know (this is a proven medical fact) that if you exercise every day you can reduce your chances of GD by half... no matter your size.
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 9:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I had GD with both of my deliveries. It was diet controlled and I was told if my children were over 9 pounds there were going to do a C Section and they just assumed the babies were going to be huge. Both my kids were 7lbs 2 oz.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• That makes me feel SO much better! Seriously. I actually found out that I didn't have it (I'm 32 weeks pregnant), but I supposedly just have a big baby due to weight gain. They make me feel so bad by asking how much junk food I eat, and I'm like..."I can't even remember the last time I had fast food". I know I eat good, so whatever haha. I've gained 35 pounds and I know it's more than normal, but she really needs to stop scaring me with his 9 pound baby crap.

I really feel better though now that you told me your babies came out normal sized!
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2008