When my daughter died in January, we became involved with a new church. I felt good about this, but I do not have a strong faith.

The minister has a strong desire to grow his church. He has mega church aspirations. Consequently, he is constantly asking for money and tithing, both in church and mail solicitations. I have a great many questions and concerns, but I am unable to find the answers.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 2:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe I am not a good person to ask about this, because I left my church as soon as I felt they had "mega church" aspirations. I feel that many churches lose sight of the important thing - praising and honoring God - and become consumed with the need to grow their numbers. Tithing is supposed to be a way to show honor to and respect God, not solely as a way to build a pretty new church building or buy a few more pews. My feeling on the matter is, you should tithe if you feel it brings you closer to God and are making the sacrifice for your faith. You should never tithe just because someone else told you to, or because your church implies that it's your duty as a member.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• IT may not be the right place for you right now. A church should help you grow not cause you to feel uneasy or like you have no one to address your questions to. Maybe consider 'shopping around' for a new church home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You should worry about yourself right now and not about the pastor or the size of the church, especially since you aren't sure. Maybe volunteering your time to help those in need would be better for you right now. I'm truly sorry about the loss of your daughter.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010