Why are you an Atheist?

So yesterday, on another thread, someone questioned why I was an atheist. (Yes I mean you Kristi). I don't have any hard feelings, and I hope she doesn't either. I absolutely believe that if you don't understand something, you should ask. So here is my story.

First let me start off with my family history. My mother is Catholic, but she doesn't believe you need to go to church to be told how to worship god. She believes that everyone can worship in their own way. My father is an atheist. My sisters and I were neither encouraged, nor discouraged from attending church and learning about god. I frequently spent Sat. nights at a friends house, and on Sunday mornings I would attend church with her family.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my younger years I never really questioned god, or his existence. People always talked about god like he was real, and I had no reason to doubt them. But I never really had a relationship with god either.
    It was around the time I was 10 - 12 years old that things changed for me. I remember sitting in one of my history classes, and learning about the ancient civilizations. Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, and the Ancient Greeks, and all the things that they believed. Like the Egyptians worshiped animal gods, and the Greeks and Romans worshiped many gods like Zeus, Athena, Venus, Aphrodite. The people of this ancient time believed wholeheartedly that they were right, just like the people of religion today believe wholeheartedly that they are right.

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• What struck me most is when the other students in my class began laughing at these "stupid, primitive" people, and how absurd it was for them to believe such nonsense. Well I couldn't help but think to myself, "I wonder what the kids, 10,000 years from now, who will be sitting in their history classes, will think about us. Will they think we are silly, primitive, or stupid?"

It was at this point that I decided that I didn't want to be one of those "stupid, primitive" people being laughed at. It was at this point that I knew I didn't believe in god. After all just look at how many religions that are being practiced today. They can't all be right, which leads to the conclusion that some are wrong. How do you know which one is right or wrong?

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• In science when you ask questions, you seek the answers, which will undoubtedly lead to more questions, and consequently more answers. In religion, when you ask a question God is your answer, always. I decided that god would never be my answer. I believe in what I see, hear and feel, and nothing more. Over the last 15 years I have not seen, heard nor felt anything that would prove gods existence to me, therefore I remain and atheist.

So that's my story, what's yours?
    my2.5boys

• Just believe in him and trust him talk to him like he is right there. Get involved with him in a personal level. He loves you. Don't you ever wonder how beautiful the world that he made is.
    Regardless of what is going on. Be thankful. I tripp out on life it is so cool. I loveit.
    Jesus Loves You!!!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• What, butterfly? Did you read anything that she wrote? Sheesh.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• lmbo... butterfly are you serious i think this is why people dont like christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thank you for sharing and I'm glad there are no hard feelings. I certainly didn't mean to offend you but there are some who claim to be atheists that are simply just mad with the god they once believed in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Now for my story.
    I grew up in non denominational Christian Churches, mostly because My dad was in the army and for good chunk of my childhood he was stationed overseas in Germany. Along with the basic questions regarding the Christian religion "How did Noah fit all the animals on the ark, How did this occur, how did that occur", I also began learning about different religions thanks to having a week when we shared our family history. You can imagine the curiosity that sparked from having different cultures and even religious traditions presented to me that I would want to know more about them. So I researched them and coupling them with what I learned of ancient civilizations in history I came to really question the existence of god.
    KristiS11384

• It wasn't a fast track to atheism. I started off slow. From Christian to Spiritual. Believing in God but thinking that all religions (regardless of what they were) worshipped the same god but gave god a different name or persona. From there I went to agnosticism. This was when I gained an interest in sociology and behaviors of ancient man. I was building a pattern in my head of how the idea of gods came to be and how as man has evolved across time, so has the concept of god. Finally with my interest in psychology (brought about greatly by my Trich and trying to understand it) I ended up an atheist. The idea of a does not make sense to me in a realistic light. Psychologically I can grasp why some people believe. Sociologically I can see how the idea of god has developed, but for me God is not plausible.
    KristiS11384

• Thanks for sharing Kristi. I too can grasp the concept of why people want, or need to believe. But I have never really wanted nor needed to believe.

And butterfly, I see everyday how beautiful the world around me is. Just yesterday my son and I spent more than an hour at the park, just walking through the grass, enjoying the cool, (well cool for florida) fall day, and looking at the trees, and the clouds lazily floating by. Just because I don't believe god created this world, doesn't mean I don't see the beauty in it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008