Christians- how do you worship God?

I mean, what do you say to Him? how do you show Him you love Him? How do you break through the mess and distractions of the day, talk to Him and feel his presence? This is an honest question, I will not and hope nobody else will bash any answers. I seriously want to know. I praise and Worship Him, but i find myself telling him the same thing while worshiping, i do thank Him for everything he's done and will do, i'm just trying to figure out how to get into the intense worshipping part, where I don't think of anything but me and God. When i was younger it came easy, but i fell away for a while and am now back in church, it's so much harder to get back into the worship i used to be able to get into.
this morning the Lord told us to come to church hungry for Him. we go into church with all this stuff on our mind, by the time church is over, it's off our mind, but we leave church hungry, then fill up on the world's junk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When we should be clearing our mind of those things before Church, so we can fill up on His word, and His spirit...I guess what i trying to ask really is, how do you clear your mind from all the clutter of the world, so you can go to church and seriously be able to worship, and praise him, and be filled?

The things of this world are so distracting...right when i'm getting deep into worshipping the Lord, a thought pops into my head...i try to push it away..but it either pushes back, or another thought comes...even when i pray for it to go away...it's so annoying...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Trying to deny the imperfect human being that you are will surely fail you every time. Stop expecting yourself to be perfect. Forgive yourself if you feel you've done wrong, and move on. You'll be happier for it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• In all honesty, the only time I am able to put away 99% of the world's distractions is when I am alone and surrounded by nature. I often go into the small forested area behind our place and just sit among the trees, listening to the birds, etc. In that situation I'm able to clear my mind and really feel close to God - I often find myself singing after a while, without even intending to, because I am so genuinely moved in that situation. I find it difficult to push aside all distractions when I'm at home or in another public place.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• sahmama, i don't expect myself to be perfect. i didn't ask how to ask for forgiveness, i asked how to worship God, and get rid of all the distractions of the world to do so.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with alice's response. I read the Bible, listen to gospel music, but when I am in nature, that is really when I feel closest to God.
    kodamom

Answer by kodamom at 5:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Your desire to please God well seems to be very heartfelt, and for that you should be commended. It takes humility to admit to any kind of struggle and especially a spiritual one. The world is a swirl of distractions. One of the first things that worked for me was to ask in prayer for the truth to be revealed to me by means of His Word the Bible. I also said in prayer that I recognized the need to focus on his will and purpose, and what my role is in the outworking of such. I asked that he please help me to bring in a heart of wisdom, help me cultivate qualities that would please him and help me to distinguish His Truth from man's traditions. Because we're imperfect, we do succumb to distractions. Keep on asking for the help you need to focus on spiritual things. Following along in my Bible and taking notes works best for me. Talking about what we learned on the way home helps too.

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 5:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• actuall Sahamama.. I dont expect you to ever understand this your side of the Cross but on this side of the Cross i am in.. God already sees us children as perfect. He already took care of everything past present and future. We dont have to strive to be perfect.. we already are in GOD'S EYES... just so you do not misunderstand... God's meaning of perfection is different than man's.

OP: How do I worship God.. I sing to Him, I worship Him, I talk to Him.. and rest in Him. I tell Him how much He is loved, I give thanks, I ask for help, I ask Him to show me, to see what He sees. The list goes on. He is my very best friend and I talk to Him all the time!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• " I dont expect you to ever understand this your side of the Cross but on this side of the Cross i am in.. God already sees us children as perfect. He already took care of everything past present and future. We dont have to strive to be perfect.. we already are in GOD'S EYES... just so you do not misunderstand... God's meaning of perfection is different than man's."

LOL, oh how perfectly condescending you started out. But anyway, if this is true and you christians are all so perfect then all the talk about "sin"' is a load of crap. If god sees you are perfect, as he took care of everything already, sin would not exist. Sin would not be an issue at all. There would be no need for salvation and forgiveness and begging for forgiveness every time you "lust" or feel greed, or whatever else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have worship CD's in my van and Worship him everyday. Including when I am cooking or cleaning. When I first started going back to church I had the same problem and I took it to the altar. I don't know how things are at your church, but at ours if we have something we really need to pray over going to the altar during praise and worship is a great way of doing it!! Prayer, daily worship, and getting into the word!!
    katana4202

Answer by katana4202 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I like meditation, I talk to God in my head all day long, meditation is a time to listen....I light candles, I go to mass where I participate in the liturgy...it's like poetry and song for him, and then recieve Him in the Eucharist....I believe it is truly his body and blood, so that is a very special connection...sometimes I go to adoration where the Eucharist is exposed and sit in front of it (or when unavailable in front of the tabernacle in the church) and just sit there or prostate myself...sometimes taking off my shoes because I am on holy ground...sometimes I sing my prayers to him...sometimes in private, I dance.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010