Seperation Anxiety

My son is starting to FLIP out every time I leave a room. I don't even have to leave the room, I just have to turn my back to him. We went to my in-laws house this weekend and everytime they walked with him he cried. I mean CRIED, the kind where they are trying to catch their breath after they are done and have the tear stained face! That is very unusual for him beacause he is very familiar with them. Normally I wouldn't worry but we are getting ready to go on a trip for a week and my kids are staying with my dad. How do I get him to the point where he is ok with "familiar" faces.

Jessica9183

Asked by Jessica9183 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With both of mine I spent a few days working on "I'll be back". I would put them in their crib and say, "I'll be back". A few seconds later (amidst screams of desertion) I would open the door and say "I'm baaaack". I did this for about 15 minutes... taking longer and longer to "come back". I did this several times a day for several days. It worked great for both of them. Also, when you leave your kids... let them leave you. Allow enough time for them to get used to your in-laws and start playing. Maybe let them walk off together for a cup of milk. Kids don't mind leaving you but they don't like it when you leave them. :)
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 9:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• When you pack their bags, put some pics of u in there so he'll b able to look @ them when he starts to miss u.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thank you those are both really good ides. The hard part is, Logan can't really "leave" me. He has Cerebral Palsy and is not able to walk or crawl yet. So it is usually myself or my husband, usually me, carrying him from room to room. I will definately try the "I'm back" method.
    Jessica9183

Answer by Jessica9183 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2008