when sewing pillows, etc, how to close last seam?

when sewing pillows and other similar pocket-style items, I sew 3 sides inside out, stuff it w/ the right side out then I have no choice but to sew the last seam right-side out. I fold the material in a little bit for a neat line, but it still looks a bit sloppy since you can see the thread and it might not be the straightest stitch. Plus, most times I dont have the chance to change the thread color to match the material...is that sloppy? Any tips?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I usually close mine by hand. I can take tiny stitches and it gives it a very clean appearance. The other way Is to install a zipper the length of one side. Start with the zipper first, then sew the other three side together and stuff with form or whatever you're using via open zipper.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Hand stich it . Or put a zipper on it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• wow the zipper is a great idea! and such an obvious problem solver! thanks ladies! only problem with that is it's hard to find zippers of different sizes.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You don't have to leave a huge opening, just big enough to get the stuffing in, about three or four inches is fine. When I sew the whole closed, I do very small stitches so they are less noticeable and try your best to match the thread color. For a larger variety of thread colors without buying whole spools (which have become crazy expensive around here) try using a strand of embroidery floss. It comes in a huge selection of colors and is less expensive - and easier to store - than several spools of thread.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• hand stitch using the "invisible stitch". I think there is a youtube how-to.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When sewing the three sides make sure you come around the last two corners at least an inch or two so the corners are neat. Then once you stuff he pillow fold the seam allowance that you had (1/2 inch or so) in and hand sew the seam closed. I found it neater to hand sew the last seam closed. Make sure you use matching thread and small stitches. Gogggle "sewing pillow closed" and you'll see several options, even a couple of videos. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When sewing pillows I always add decorative rope cording to the trim--leaving a few inches of extra trim unsewn.

The cording or trim includes a nice sized hem, so you can "sandwich" it between the two layers of pillow fabric to secure it well. I then sew all sides inside out, leaving about 3 inches unsewn near one corner so I can turn the pillow right side out, and stuff it.

Once turned right side out, I finish stuffing the pillow, and hand sew the open corner. Then using a hot glue gun I attach the extra trim to cover the hand sewn part, cutting the excess so the cord looks seamless when done. You could also make your pillows like you always do and hot glue some decorative trim around it when done to cover "mistakes!"

Instead of making a pillow, you could also buy unfinished pillow inserts and make a pillow cover--like a sham pillow case, where the back flaps overlap, and secure them closed with a decorative button.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• tuck it in and hand sew it closed
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Look into the "whipstick". That's the way I learned to do it.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 6:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2010