CPS??

My DH told me about this guy at work. His son(13) called CPS on him. Because he would not buy him an Ipod. I laughed and said did he buy it for him. He said No he did not and he took all his other stuff away from him, lapton, cell phone,ect.....What would you have done?

Asked by louise2 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If my son did that I would certainly not 'reward' him and buy him an Ipod! In fact I would remind him that by law I have to give him food, clothing, shelter-- and there is no law saying I have to buy him 'fun stuff' then I would take his 'fun stuff' (cell phone, computer, tv time...) away.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would have removed all unnecessary items from his room and put him on house arrest. I bet he would be surprised to find out just how little his parents are "required" to provide him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Took any electronics he had and hand him the phone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would have told him to go ahead and call.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The son did actually called CPS. They came out to the house. The CPS lady actually was laughing about it. But she said she had to come out.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Legally you have to feed your kids, cloth your kids, Provide a roof over their head/place to sleep. I think that is all you legally have to do.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yeah, I'd take EVERYTHING away... all he needs is food, clothes (basic no designer etc), shelter, schooling... everything else is extra...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would have done the same. I also would have asked the CPS person that came out to put a little scare in my child. Tell them a false report can land them in a lot of trouble.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yeah, I'd take everything away. The CPS worker should have talked to him about what was appropriate to report. I'd be sooo mad, and he should be punished for taking that worker's time she could have been using to help kids that truley needed it.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I'd take everything away from him except the barest of essentials. And I'd most likely put him to work to earn back the other stuff. But the Ipod would not be something he gets for quite a long time.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010