How far would you go to appease your neighbors?

Our downstairs neighbors are, to put it bluntly, cranky. When we moved in earlier this year, they complained the very first night about "banging on the floor". Turns out that "banging" was the pitter-patter of my kids' footsteps.

Only a few weeks after that, they complained about a fan being on the floor because "it vibrates". We moved all our fans to counters/windows. Then they complained that our cat had been "on their patio". (Our complex allows pets, both indoor and out, and apparently they saw my well-behaved cat walk across their patio one night and took personal offense. Uh, sorry...?)

I stress 24/7 about the amount of noise my kids make. I had to take away all bouncy balls, etc and even some of their dress-up shoes because they "clack-clack" on the floor. DH thinks I worry too much about it, but I can't help it - these people are cranky and rude.

My question is, how far would you go to appease your neighbors?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree about the dress up shoes and bouncy toys, they are pretty unpleasant to live under. But normal footsteps, your cat on their patio, the fans you have already tried to accommodate them, you are fine with what you are doing. If you don't have carpets, you may want to consider carpeting or rugs. And then just don't worry about it. My sister lived above a couple who complained when she took a shower because they could hear the water running, so she was afraid of taking a shower later than 10 PM. Some noise simply has to be expected, and it sounds as though you have gone out of your way to be considerate.

Answer by Bmat at 3:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Do you have any rugs on the floors? That will usually absorb some noise. However, there is a point where satisfying their constant need to complain will become just annoying and you may not be able to comply all the time. We've lived with people like that and it was one thing after another. They have to realize some noises are just part of living and they have to get used to them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I think I'm just amazed by how much these people complain, because (A) we have lived in upstairs apartments before and never had a complaint - we are very very careful about how much running/jumping we let out kids do, especially, and (B) we have also lived in a downstairs apartment and realize that a lot of noises are just par for the course in apartment life. I do try to keep the kids on the carpeted area, and if they feel the need to be really rowdy/jumpy, they have to do it on their bed, which absorbs most of the shock. But man oh man, I just about have a heart attack when my 21mo old toddles across the linoleum and drops her full milk cup, because I can only imagine what the neighbors are thinking! :-/
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Not as far as you are going that is for sure!  If you are not making any unreasonable noise then they can stuff it!  People like that will never be satisfied and they will continue to make increasingly unreasonable demands because they know they can walk all over you.  You need to assert yourself and tell them that if your kids walking across the floor disturbs them,  then they should consider moving to a top floor apartment.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• That's something you are going to have to work out with the Landlord. Maybe he should have brought this to your attention before you moved in with children. If children are involved, he should have made more of an effort to put you on the bottom level. Typically, I never like to be on the bottom, hotel or apartment, because it's too noisy.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• personaly if it makes a loud noise like the shoes ok but thats all, you pay rent just like they do id tell them to live with it you got kids and they will just have to get over it.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 3:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't go very far. Maybe put down an area rug if they're wood floors just to reduce the sound. Aside from that they can either get over it or move. I'm not going to turn my life upside down, so that they don't have to hear the noise we make.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Your paying the landlord to live there, not your neighbor. So I mean really does it matter that they complain. Its an apartment, if they wanted a nice quiet house then they should have rented a house. Its not your problem so personally I wouldn't go out and buy rugs or have your kids tip toe around all day.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010