How do I deal with a RAD kid

I have a daughter, 9. adopted from africa, she has Reactive Attachment Disorder. She has been in trouble so many tiimes at school last year, been suspended several times for steeling, lyhing, bullying and to top it all off, she recently ran away. I am at my wits end, I can't deal with this anymore, and I am unable to get therapy in our area without going 2 or 3 hours away. and we don't have that kind of money, we get the response: "if you can't pay us, we can't help you." Her problems are starting to tear our family apart.

bonbon147

Asked by bonbon147 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 6 y/o has that, most people have never even heard of it. There is a group for it on CafeMom. Have you tried getting her on Medicaid or CHIP for insurance? Your going to have to remind the school that they are a public school and they can not suspend your special needs child because they are ill equipt to handle her. Look up radkid.org, it has been helpful for us. Good luck

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My immediate ideas are: the school system and the adoption agency (or the state agency that oversees adoption). This child obviously needs professional help and you are not getting it. There must be a contact person someplace who can help. What does the school social worker say?
    Hugs to you for reaching out and looking for the help you need. I hope someone here has a better answer.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• There are probably more people around you that are in the same boat. Check out online for other parents and support groups, there are resources out there, it's hard to find sometimes and getting connected to others will connect you to them. I know someone who went through this with a little boy (now grown) who they adopted after being foster parents. It's hard mom, I know it, I would love to see you get the help you all need.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 7:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010