Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get solo cusody of my child?

Ever since I had my daughter a year ago, the father which is still in my life, just doesnt seem to get the reponsabliltie of it. In the beginning he didnt have a job and we lost our apartment and moved in with my father, now he has a job but he still says its my job to take care of my daughter not his, if hes buying dipers why should he take care of her. Like I have to bath her , feed her, and play with her, and everything, i cant even go out with out her and If I do i cant be gone for more then an hour.Thats what he says, and our relationship has been at a dead end and I've tried talking to him about seeing other people and he gets mad and the next day its like it never happend. I want to see other people but have solo cusody of my daughter and he can see her when he wants too, but here the thing, he threatens me that he will take her before anything happens, or my life or he says he will kill himself. I dont know what to do.

Answer Question

Asked by QueenMandy at 3:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Write everything he goes down and keep everything and go to court

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • If he fights for visitation, it's unlikely that you will get sole custody. They just only do that in rare instances these days. But keep a written log with dates and what he says. Speak with an attorney - many of them have free consultations.

    Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • Sole custody is rarer and rarer these days with many states actually dropping the words and working out diff levels of shared custody.
    I would say you have to have DOCUMENTATION and PROOF of all of the above and that is VERY difficult.
    If he has threatened to kidnap and or hurt you or the baby... get out, file for emergency custody and restraining order.
    Best bet is to talk to legal aid and/or local womens abuse shelter/counselor they will tell you the best steps to take in YOUR state (every state has diff. rules so you need to talk to someone that knows the ropes in YOUR state).
    you will also need to prove that YOU can take care of your child materially/financially...

    the its your job I provide the money is immature and old fashioned but NOT that uncommon so that alone is not enough... its the other comments that concern me.
    In court you can require parenting classes

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • he's a loser as a partner, as a father, and he sucks at life. are you the same person whose question i already answered? if not, look for a later question that sounds very much like yours and see those responses.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.