How long do I cook a whole chicken ? Do I cover with foil ?

wentworth99

Asked by wentworth99 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• you can, but when I do I never cover it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I cut mine in half and grill it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends on the weight. Usually 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees. I like a crispy skin so I roast uncovered. But it might come out a little moister if you cover it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• About an hour at 350. I wouldn't cover it unless it got too brown, then a tent of foil over it. It may suggest on the packaging how long to cook it depending on the weight. about 20 minutes per pound is what I remember. So a three pound chicken would be about an hour. I always test using a thermometer.

Answer by Bmat at 3:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I only foil cap wing tips and leg ends. Cooking time depends on the size of the bird and if it's stuffed. Here is a chart to help you decide

.http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--911/chicken-cooking-times.asp

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma

• and I meant to say that you check doneness by piercing near the leg and see if the juices run clear. You can use a meat thermometer too but I do not know what temp it needs to be. Then let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before cutting so juices stay in the meat. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends upon the whole weight of it. If you prick the leg and the juices run clear it's cooked. No bloody juices should run out of the chicken when you cut it otherwise it's still needs cooking. And the breast meat should be white inside and no pink which would indicate that it's raw still. And by covering it with foil it creates a heated dome for the chicken and doesn't allow it to get overcooked on the outside before the inside is thoroughly cooked through. During the last hour of cooking the chicken, I baste the chicken to give the skin a crisp texture to it and to keep the whole chicken from drying out. A tip I learned is to always allow for water or broth to be in the pan the whole time the chicken is cooking.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks Ladies !
    wentworth99

Comment by wentworth99 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I cook a 5lb chicken, unstuffed for 2 hrs on 350 in a stoneware dish with a lid. Comes out very juicy.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 4:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010