Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


a kid at our apartment complex ran into my husbands car with his bike and broke off his side mirror. when my husband confronted on him he said it was an accident and when he asked if he was going to apologize the kid ran off. This kid has also broken a window in our complex. We have knocked on the child''s parents door to see how they want to handle this but no answer so we left a note on the door. The repair will be over $100 to get the mirror fixed (but it just happened yesterday so the parents havent had much time to respond) where do we go from here if the parents dont respond or wont take care of it? We have insurance on the car 0bviously but it's a high deductible and I'm sure it wouldn't cover this.

Answer Question

Asked by katiekruschke at 3:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,043 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You may have to fix it yourself and then take the parents to small claims court.

    Answer by zbee at 3:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • That's kind of what i was thinking. You shouldn't file a police report right? I just don't know what the appropriate procedure is you know.

    Comment by katiekruschke (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • Just get it fixed, you need to anyways. Your insurance deductible is too high to bother with the insurance on this. After getting it fixed make a copy of the receipt and present it to them. They may or not pay, your only recourse would be small claims court, but I'm not sure it's worth it for $100. I hope they don't give you any problems over it.

    Answer by slw123 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • Small claims. But I would ask my lawyer first. I think the cost taking it to court might be more than actually fixing it. mirrors are soo cheap, finder a less greedy mechanic might help too.

    Take it to a high school that has an auto shop, im sure they wouldnt mind at all!

    You might save a money by having a lawyer advice you on how to go about this,

    Plans start at $17 a month :0)


    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • pretty much a waste of time. The amount of money/effort you are going to go through to get your money is going to be a wash. Unfortunately, that is why the world is going downhill in so many aspects. People just don't care for the most part especially when it comes out of their pocket. I've done small slaims court for 2500.00 and in the end it was so much time involved and a lot of cost. I think to even file claims it is 70-100 depending on your state. Then even if you win, try getting the get a piece of paper that basically says "congratulations, you got a judgement that says they are supposed to pay you, but unless you do anything further, such as file a lien or hire an attorney, you will never see a dime"

    Answer by Pumelo at 4:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • UPDATE: parents called while i was out running errands and went with my husband to look at the damage turns out the dad works at a body shop so they said they would pay. They asked if they could buy the mirror and then have the guy put it on and I was like yeah i dont care as long as it's not hanging off the car isnt anything special we just need mirrors that work. So i am actually pleasantly surprised by their response so far but it sounds like they realize their kid has been creating some trouble. Thanks for all your input and advice ladies and Pumelo your insight is especially helpful in knowing even if you do win small claims it doesnt mean you walk out of small claims with your money.

    Comment by katiekruschke (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN