Mother in law problem... WWYD

Tomorrow my MIL is picking my son up after school 'cuz I'll be at my Mothers side during her surgery and my husband will be with me. ... This will only be my sons 5th day of school. Once last week the bus LOST HIM and the school secretary had to go find him and bring him home and twice the bus forget about him and zoomed right past us. So it's only gonna be his like 4th or 5th time on the bus. All the kinks are worked out and he's thrilled about the bus, being a big boy, etc etc. Anyhoo per his request we asked MIL to come near our house and get him off the bus and then take him to her house. She said no, she wants to get him from school and see his classroom, meet his teacher, friends, etc. No one involved is happy about this but she's not negotiating or caring about her grandsons wishes. Comments, WWYD, etc?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• If she doesn't want to do it your way, either I would find someone else to be there for your son, or your husband can take him there himself. Do you have a neighbor that could watch him? I hope things work out well for you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Have your husband pick him up then and bring him to his moms. Your husband can leave you side for less then a hour. If she wants to be a bitch like that and not respect that her grandson wants to be a "big boy" and ride the bus. Don't have her pick him up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If it's a one time deal, I would let her do it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i would have someone else do it then! and most of the time they have to have permission for ur son to leave with someone else! he likes riding the bus ur MIL is being mean she can go to the class rm on a different day!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would tell her not to be mean but you either do it the way we want or you don't do it at all i'll figure something else out..inlaws can be tricky to handle I know I live with mine.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Sorry mom, but she's doing you a favor, and she wants to be involved in her grandchild's life. He has the rest of the school year to ride the bus, It wont hurt anyone if she goes to the school to get him. Tell her they may not let her in the building, let alone his classroom tho. We have to wait outside unless we are picking up our child early for a Dr. appt. Dont sweat the small stuff- be happy she's around to help you out, and most importantly, that you are allowed this time to be w/ your mom. Hope her surgery goes well!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Well if it were me I would allow her to pick him up at school. My reason-- since the bus had mixed up previously I would worry about it happening again and if she picks him up at school I would know he is 'safe' and with her-- not "lost". Since it is just the 1 day I don't see the harm in her going in to see his classroom or meet the teacher. I would make a 'designated meeting space' at school for grandma to wait and for son to go to (example go to the big tree by the front door).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It is the principle. Find someone else to watch him, or have your husband go take care of him. You need to be there for your Mom. It would be great if he was there with you the whole time, but your son needs one of you too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would also send a note to school ahead of time telling them that grandma is picking up that day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Cant you just explain to her that he needs to continue riding the bus until every one is used to it. Tell her this is a transition period and its very important for him to practice and recognize the correct route. When he is a bus riding pro she is more than welcome to pick him up from school and scope out his classroom, not to mention it is really important to your son.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010