Sippy Cups and Potty Training...

I babysit a 3 yo who will be going to school next year.

He isn't potty trained. He uses a sippy cup as a bottle, & has a blankie that he has to have all the time.
When I say he uses a sippy cup as a bottle, I mean he sucks on the sippy like a bottle until he goes to sleep. Should I allow this behavior or should I only let him to have his blankie & "cuppie" for naps?

As for potty training, his parents don't seem to be trying. They scold him for going in his pants & tell him he's bad. I don't agree with this. I've suggested a sticker book for good potty behavior & his mother thought I was nuts, telling me nothing worked because he is just too lazy to go & "he doesn't want to"

I just don't know what to do. Should I let him be a baby or should I attempt to help him grow up a bit even tho his parents let him do anything he wants?

crash_1283

Asked by crash_1283 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You could help him out. But try it with M&Ms one candy every time he goes potty. He is 3 he should catch on quick. If you watch him 5 days a week limit how much he can drink and when he drinks put him on the potty. And try to get him to sleep without the cup. Through this hard time he will need his blanky and daughter is three and she still has her blanky. It is their security. Good Luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I disagree with the above poster, but only about giving him candy. I'm surprised a 3 year old is needing a "bottle" for bed.

Have you tried introducing regular cups to him? Try that in the day time. I think with the night time/naps, you and the parents have to make an agreement to completely stop giving him a cup to go to bed. It's too bad that you are more responsible then the parents.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I suggest totally distracting him and taking charge of the whole potty training thing. Don't ask if she wants to do stickers, obviously from her attitude everything she has tried hasn't worked. (And I don't think she has tried much.) For the sippy, I agree, a child that age doesn't need a sippy or bottle at naptime.
    Try going to http://www.chartjungle.com/ for free printable charts.
    Good luck and have fun. That is such a great age!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think anything you do, potty training wise or not allowing the sippy when he goes to sleep would help the mom alot! Just don't give him the option of having the sippy when he goes to sleep. Potty training will come on its own. I tried alot with my son and then as soon as I stoppped "trying" he just started using it consistently and withing 2 months completely potty trainied! He was 3 1/2, this was very recently. Does the child know what the potty is for, does he have the bathroom language down pat? There are many levels to take into consideration and every child is at a different level. Even though my son was just potty trained he is very intelligent when it comes to letters and number and other things so some kids just excell in different areas and certian skills come before others. Have patience and see where mom will work with you on certian things. Let me know how it all goes!! Good Luck!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 12:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Do the parents relize that most preschools won't take a 3yr old that isn't potty trained unless its a daycare/preschool thing. My cousin is in one like that. I would try to break him of sucking on the sippy cup at nap time and work on the potty training. It sounds like the parents don't really care what there son is doing or not doing. As for the blanket like some one else said is a secerity thing and my 2 1/2 yr old is very protective of her blanky. Good Luck and hope it works out for ya.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 12:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2008