Question for Working Outside the Home Mothers.

How long do you suggest I take/request for maternity leave? I believe I get Paid Short Term benefits up to 26 weeks, or however long my OB communicates to UNUM however I was thinking at least 3 months which is only 12 wks. A friend of mine said more...she said at least 4 months. I know I'm not going to WANT to go back for many reasons but I'd like some input from all of you who have already been through this.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 10:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• IMO, take as long as you possibly can. You will be exhausted and you will need time to bond with your baby and establish some sort of daily routine. I took four months off. I would have taken more had I had the leave time or money to be gone longer. You will have your whole lifetime to work, stay home and enjoy your baby as much as you can.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 10:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I had 2 weeks off before delivery and 8 weeks off after, all with full pay (that's what we were entitled to under company policy). I thought the amount of time was absolutely ideal. Physically, I could have gone back the day after I had my child but that obviously wasn't going to happen. I personally think it would have been harder to go back if I had taken more than the 8 weeks afterwards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Well with both my pregnancies I worked til close to my 9th month then of course I took time off to be with my babies but as they grew I decided to stay at home until they started school. I believe that their first 5 years of life they need their mommy to be there for them. But some mommies can't do that depending on the situation. But if you can stay home for awhile it will be fun. (boring sometimes) but you can find something to do. Like get back to your girlish figure you once had. Good Luck!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am going to take 6-8wks off. But my boss is amazing and is going to let me bring her to work til she is 6mos as long as it doesn't interfere too much with my job. I am an office manager for a mechanic. I would take as long as they will allow you too. If my boss wasn't the way he was than I would probably take 4mos off!
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was working part time and finshing high school when my son was born. so i went out a month early because I got so big I couldnt sit in a desk. When he was born he had to stay 2 weeks in the hospital and i stayed home with him for 2 weeks before i went back to school and work. now i work a full time job and im expecting another baby but stay out as long as you possibly can. i wish i could have, but things dont always work out like we wont it to good luck with everything
    gurlieracer4

Answer by gurlieracer4 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• take as much as you can get!! I didn't take any time off prior to birth (just didn't see the reason), so I had leave after she was born. I don't think you need more than three months, but don't rule it out.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• For my first son I didn't work for the first year, and I am expecting #2. I am going to stay out the orginal 6 weeks maternity leave, then I will use my short term disability to stay out additional 3 months.It's pretty nice that they say you are disable when you are pregnant.GOOD LUCK!!
    brandi143319

Answer by brandi143319 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I plan on taking 12 weeks (or less).
    Anonymous