do you think i'm destined to get cancer?

my grandmother just found out she has cancer and my brother (17 yrs old) found out earlier in the year and I have alot of cancer on the other side of my family as well do you think I will get cancer?

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Health

• No, I don't. Often, depending on the type of cancer, it's not that hereditary. There are many more factors that play into your risk of getting cancer than just genetics. Be aware of your body and treat it well, but don't worry. You may very well never get it. And to dancer up there, where you got your calculation of her having an almost 100% chance of getting it, but that's not only incorrect, but ignorant.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• read up on ways to prevent cancer. I believe you can escape it
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You never know. You can always get a blood test to see if you carry that gene but even if you do have that genetic code, it doesn't mean you'll get cancer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would be careful about it. As stated above, go get tested to help (hopefully) ease your mind. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Genetically maybe. However, there are things you can do that will reduce those possibilities like the foods you eat, not smoking or being exposed to those that smoke, and so forth.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• No, you aren't destined to get cancer. Treat your body well and live your life. Worry causes stress, which cause your body to secret cortisol... there's a whole chain of badness.

Just live.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• tHERE IS ALMOST 100% CHANCE U WILL/
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010