How do you handle an angry,agressive 5yr.old.

this started couple yrs.ago,and with the situation we have i fiqured we'd have some but once in an enviroment where there is no yelling and screaming or fighting it would mellow.He's always saying things like my blue n red wires are crossed or bad is good.there are times he can b very agressive towards me and his sister,he'll yell n scream at me to shut up or he'll do what he wants.he tries to disapline his sister before I have a chance and has been known to hit her. I have spanked,taken things away n put him in his room and so far he just comes back at me even worse.he has kicked me thrown things at me and thrown in general.I've tried talking to him on his level and really thpought school would help.he's fine there but once he gets home it's on.and time with either parent tends to agravate.he's even thrown fit in a public place when he hasn't gotten something he wanted.

ms.mary

Asked by ms.mary at 4:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you will need to reteach him a new way to deal with his anger issues. His being upset like that isn't even healthy for him. He needs to learn how to channel his anger better and since he is still little now would be a good time for him to learn. Life can be disappointing and he may not always get what he wants all the time, but he needs to learn to be more accepting.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if it's only with mom and dad, he's fine with other adults, sounds like there is a dicipline issue, and a lack of respect for parents... you need to nip it in the butt... some tough love, dicipline, positive reinforcement, and consistancy in what mom and dad are doing.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• talk to your pefi..or school therapist they should be able to help u with some behavioral discipline step to use at home
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Teach him how to deal with his anger issues. Maybe therapy if it doesnt help. Talk to a Dr,.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think you should talk to a professional, your Pediatrician or a counselor. Good luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would get him into therapy where you can both talk and learn ways to manage this.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Mine was a very similar little one, he's six now. He was an angel in school, no one believed he was such a handful at home. Finally, I just had to try a different approach - parenting without anger. Instead of getting frustrated and upset at his behavior and getting mad, I simply told him the rules - i.e. no hitting, no back talk, et cetera, and when he did these things - no warnings, just immediate time out, no matter where we were or what we were doing, no upset, just firm - we don't hit, go to time out. I also didn't engage with him when he lashed out saying things like, "I hate you." (My husband had a tendancy to argue with him, which just escalated things). Instead, we ignore things that are just attention-getting and immediate time outs. His behavior got much better, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but easier in our household to deal with.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• that's actually what i started doing couple nights ago.and like u when he starts in with the verbal nana just say when ur done let me know then i go out and sit in my rocker outside and he comes after after little bit and says he's sorry then we talk bout what happened and wheter it was nessary.there is a little change and he's not been has hyper with us.......and yes I know this will take time specially since he has vistis with mom once a wk.and Ben(dad)twice a wk.but we're working on it...thank you amybaby 19 and everyone else for all the feedback...
    ms.mary

Comment by ms.mary (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with asil :)
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 2:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010