Why should a "tax credit" be given to a person who does NOT pay taxes?

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/oct/13/obama-tax-cut-refunds-those-who-dont-pay/

Isn't this expanding Welfare?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No it is not "expanding welfare" it is keeping people off of welfare.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• FlyMom: Please, do explain...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Welcome to the Obama plan. "You don't pay taxes?? Well, here. Take some money someone else earned."
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• flymom-receiving money from the government for work not performed is welfare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No. If you don't pay in income tax, you should not get a fat refund. That is not your money to be refunded. However, under Obama's Robin Hood tax plan, this is exactly what will happen. I think it takes away from a person's motivation to work hard and increase their income. Honestly, why work hard? Then people don't qualify for the EIC, they don't get medicaid, food stamps, welfare, WIC, headstart, free lunches, etc. By the time some lower income people count these free social programs to their incomes, they come out "richer" than some middle class people. Medicaid alone saves them about 10,000 a year if they had to buy their own insurance.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Yea, "Senator Government" concerns me. I have to wonder if adding to Welfare will encourage a a growth in a "lazy" society which has turned out a "snob" effect of workers who won't do the jobs that are now being given to illegal immigrants, becuase of the manual labor and low pay involved. I have to wonder if an Obama Admin would only make this grow... His initiatives gets people wanting to depend on the Goverment for assistance.. hrmmmmm... As a hard working American, I am not so sure that is what I want. I work hard to provide for my family the way I want. In college I worked 4 jobs at one time to pay for school I didn't look for a govt handout. Looking a little too socialistic pour moi! ;)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It is called "Residtribution of Wealth"--which is Socialism bordering on Communism. One of Obama's mentors from his youth was a Communist--with a BIG C:-) And Obama claims he had a big influence on him---read Obama's Dreams from My Father:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Redistribution of Wealth---missed my spelling:-o

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i dont think you do get a rebate unless you file. thats why they were encouraging veterans to file since they dont usually make enough to have to file, they never get a return. if they didnt file, they wouldnt get a rebate

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• akinbottom2: That was a very socialist response! All that does is force those of us those of us who actually work for what we have to work harder to provide for those "poor" who are too freakin lazy to start at the bottom and work their way up like the rest of us......thanks but no thanks I would like to keep the money I earn!!
    Anonymous