Do you believe Abortions should be handled by the state?

I am asking this question not to start an argument but to have your thoughts on it. I wholly do not agree with Mccain on this which is a very big problem I have with him. I feel if abortions are handled by the states indvidually, some states will outlaw and some states will not. What if you are in a state that has outlawed it? A young woman can not travel to another state to get it. Most likely she can hardly afford the abortion. Which in the end will lead to illegal abortions in my opinion. Now let me clarify something I think life is precious and I would never abort a life in me. However I would never vote for someone who would overturn a law that gives a woman that right to choose.

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Furthermore, I believe government should stay out of our uteruses. Women should have the right to choose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree with your assessment of the situation. Handling abortion prior to Roe v Wade was on a state level and the only two states that offered it were New York and California.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• it shouldn't be the states issue to tell you if you can handle mentally and physically having a baby. its not like they will be taking care of it if you flip out or they wont giving you the money to clothed it and feed it. they need to mind there business.
    ariesmom20

Answer by ariesmom20 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree that making it a state's right to chose would result in some states deciding to ban abortion. I don't think it would result in the same illegal abortions seen in past times though, simply for the changes in society. I do think it would open the door for thousnads of unwanted children being pushed on relatives or the foster system. The United States would not be able to afford the welfare medicaid costs to take care of all the unintended pregnancies that would be forced to term. The government needs to allow women to continue deciding what is in their best interests and keep religion out of politics.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Constitutionally--yes-it should be a State issue. Remember--the powers not outlined in the Constitution were then given to the States. Abortion is not about a woman's right--it is about when we as humans "declare" when life begins. Science tells us it begins at conception. Just because something is "legal" does not make it right. Obama has declared he would sign the Freedom of Choice Act that would open up abortion through all nine months of pregnancy. That is one of many reasons I could never vote for him. The fact that so many states had it outlawed should tell us something. Again, this is NOT about a woman's right it is about the life of a human being. It speaks more to our humanity than to our legal system.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I don't think with either candidate anything will change with abortion. Congress would have to vote for what Obama wants and that will never happen, they voted the allow a baby born alive to have a chance. Abortion allowed through all nine months of pregnancy is sickening. A woman needs to decide at the beginning of her pregnancy if she wants or if she doesn't want it. She shouldn't be able to give birth to a perfectly healthy 28 weeks gestation BABY and be able to tell the doctor to kill it. The line has to be drawn somewhere. I think abortion should be stopped at 14 weeks and if it is her life or the baby's then she should have more than one opinion saying that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The only person who I believe SHOULD have the right to decide what happens inside her body is the woman carrying the baby. For me abortion would NEVER be an option, but there are circumstances out there that would constitute an abortion. For example: rape, incest.......etc. I do not believe that abortion should be used as birth control, but I don't think that anyone should have a say so in this situation other than the woman involved.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No leaving it up to the state goes against the constitution, just like Obama said last night.
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• In My Humble Opinion....just my humble opinion.......no emotion, no bashing please.
    Abortion is a medical procedure carried out by licensed medical professionals. This is not an issue to be decided by anyone other then the woman and her doctors. I dare say that politicians, the federal government and state government have no business putting and keeping their hands in the public's personal health care. They are politicians NOT medical professionals.
    Last night Senator McCain kept referring to those that support Roe vs Wade as pro abortion. That is just not accurate. We are pro parenting, pro education, pro personal accountability, pro birth control. and also pro choice if everything else fails.
    That option for medical care needs to remain, Roe vs Wade established that and therefore, that right needs to remain at the federal level.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would personally love it and be proud if I lived in a state that saw how inhumane abortions were and outlawed them. The only person who should decide if a child lives or dies is God. Don't want a baby? Keep your legs closed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008