Why are some people?

so intent on trying to disprove God? If you don't believe in him, don't! But why try to make others stop believing as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• "When an Atheist tries to "convert" a Christian - what purpose does it serve? Since they don't believe in God, or any afterlife, it really shouldn't matter to them what we believe."

This is a conversation that has come up on the interfaith forum I moderate at quite a few times...

What you believe does matter--for similar reasons that what they believe seems to matter to you...

Many athiests (and many theists that disagree with organized religion) see religion in general, and Christianity in particular as being dangerous and subversive to civil rights and to humanity in general--and, TBH, there are (sadly) plenty of examples of this to reinforce their beliefs.

Just as many of you think they are better off WITH God, many of them think you are better off WITHOUT God.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• mabey for the same reason people force God on others!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I honestly do not believe that all people who don't believe in god are like that at all. I myself am not like that, my brother is not like that, one of my best friends is not like that..We do not talk about our beliefs to other people, it seems to be the other way around completely...People try to get all righteous with me because I don't believe, and try to change my mind...so I guess it is just a matter of opinion and who you talk to. I simply just listen polietly and tell them that I understand their point of view.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have to disagree with Anon. I could be wrong, and I know I can't speak for everyone, but when Christians try to "convert" people, it's because they truly believe that they are saving people. We believe (most of us, anyways) that there is a heaven and hell (or some form of it) and it's hard to bear the idea that not everyone will be joining us in heaven. Also, we believe that they are truly missing out on a wonderful fellowship and relationship. When an Atheist tries to "convert" a Christian - what purpose does it serve? Since they don't believe in God, or any afterlife, it really shouldn't matter to them what we believe.

Anyway, that's my take.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Oh, and all that said, I agree that Christians can be irksome in their efforts. I'm not necessarily trying to justify any kind of pushiness, but just explaining WHY some Christians would feel the need. I also agree that not all Atheists are like this....but I saw one on here yesterday who was most certainly trying to disprove God.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Recently I've only seen one instance in which someone was trying to disprove god. Same post Dustersmommy is talking about. However on the flip side you do have those who believe in a god who try to convince those who don't believe otherwise. It's a never ending cycle and until we learn to agree to disagree you will always have those on either side trying to convince the other of their beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• As an atheist, I have no interest in trying to disprove god to those who believe in one (or some!). I keep my reasons to myself unless someone asks.

The thing that annoys me is people who do believe, who feel it is their duty to convert the rest of us! That is FAR more common than an atheist trying to change the mind of a believer!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Well for me, ( and I assume that I am the one this question is directed towards) it's not so much about disproving god to you or anybody else. I used to be just like some of the other atheist who said they just don't talk about it. I used to avoid the topic of religion. When people around me would start talking I would listen, but never input. In fact most of the people who knew me, never would have known I was an Atheist, and most were shocked when they found out. I was never ashamed of the fact I didn't believe, I just never felt like it was anyone else's business. But I don't feel that way any more. I feel as though I have just as much right to talk about all the reasons I don't believe in god, as do Christians, Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists, have the right to talk about their gods.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'm sorry if you take offense to that, but that's not going to be enough to keep my mouth shut any longer. I am no more trying to disprove gods existence to you, as you are trying to prove his existence to me when you talk about it. It's just talk. If you don't like what I have to say, than don't listen!
    my2.5boys

• I don't think they are always trying to "convert" you I think they are either looking for answers themselves or just want to get you thinking... I always welcome the sceptic because it forces me to look deeper in to my own beliefs and find answers I didn't even know I had questions for... It just strengthens my beliefs so BRING IT ON!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008